Stocksbridge KO FA Trophy holders

Richard Patterson challenges  Ferriby's big striker Tom Denton for a high ball. Photo: Ian Revitt
Richard Patterson challenges Ferriby's big striker Tom Denton for a high ball. Photo: Ian Revitt
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels pulled off the biggest cup scalp of their FA Trophy adventure on Saturday.

They came from behind to beat the holders and Vanarama National League North promotion hopefuls North Ferriby United 2-1 in their own backyard.

Having already won at Clitheroe, Northwich Victoria then beaten Evo-Stik Premier Division Ilkeston FC at home in a replay, Steels again showed their mettle to come out on top once more despite starting massive underdogs.

But this was no fluke result, as Steels deservedly reached the first round proper with with a performance full of commitment and some resolute defending.

Steels got off to the worse possibly start as Ferriby edged in front after five minutes when Wayne Brooksby poked the ball over the line in a goalmouth scramble.

When Stocksbridge did get the chance to venture forward, Scott Ruthven and Joe Lumsden always looked a threat and it took a good block from the home keeper Tom Nicholson to deny Lumsden.

Steels came more into the game in the second half with Nicholson saving well from Ruthven, while Harrsion Biggins went close.

The goal Stocksbridge had been threatening arrived on 72 minutes when Ruthven pounced from close range to level the scores. Two minutes later the striker scored his and Stocksbridge’s second, pouncing on a loose ball after Nicholson had saved Lumsden’s shot.

North Ferriby applied late pressure but there weren’t any real scares for Steels other than a header just wide.

Delighted Stocksbridge manager Chris Hilton said:“It was a real team effort all the lads played their part and have every right to enjoy it. ”

Ferriby manager Billy Heath, a former team mate of Hilton’s at Frickley, was gracious in defeat: “ Credit to Stocksbridge, they played well and came back well in the second half.”

Matlock Town went through after coming from behind to beat Blyth Spartans 4-2 at home.

Sheffield FC’s Division One South home clash against Leek Town was abandoned on 59 minutes with score at 1-1 after the surface became unplayable following incessant rain.

Frickley drew 1-1 at Hyde.