Steels settle for a point at Chasetown despite dominating the game

Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels had to be content with a point from a goalless draw against Chasetown at Bracken Moor.

Steels might well have won by three or four goals but were twice denied by the woodwork and some fine saves from visiting goalkeeper John Bateman.

“I thought we played well and deserved the three points.” said Steels boss Chris Hilton.

“I think had we got one in the first half we would have gone on and won comfortably. As the game went on it looked like one goal would settle it but it wasn’t to be. But I would have taken four points from the last two games.”

Chasetown made a bright start but it was Stocksbridge that had the first clear chance on 18 minutes when Liam Schofield caught a defender in possession before hitting a blistering angle drive that was well held by the keeper. Moments later Lee Garside hooked a first time effort over the bar from Chris White’s cross when the number nine might well have left it for strike partner Brad Grayson.

Then when White rolled a free-kick to Harrison Biggins, the young midfielder saw his angle drive across goal deflected wide for a corner.

Chasetown had a good chance to snatch the lead on the half hour when Nick Wellecomme headed over. But the home side were soon back on the offensive with Biggins’ well struck effort forcing the keeper to fist clear. Then from Steve Hoyle’s low cross Garside looked certain to score but his sidefoot from six-yards saw Bateman block with his legs.

At the other end Liam Flynn was forced to push away Richard Davies’ rising shot at the near post. But it was Steels that went close again on the stroke of half time when Grayson’s cross was sliced by a defender in front of goal - but Garside couldn’t make the most of it.

The home side again threatened to take the lead just past the hour mark. Stocksbridge broke quickly and when Biggins fed Grayson, the striker cut inside before hitting a low shot that the keeper did well to push away for a corner at full stretch.

From the flag kick Stocksbridge went even closer as Hoyle’s drive looked to be heading for the net until it was deflected onto the crossbar. Then, with two minutes remaining Stocksbridge again hit the woodwork, this time Grayson going close.

Chasetown had a chance to snatch what would have been an unjust win in stoppage time when substitute Danny Griffiths made space just inside the area, but he pulled his shot wide of the post.

Sheffield FC’s home clash with Stafford Rangers was postponed, as was Frickley Athletics’ game at Belper Town.