Steels pay the price

Stocksbridge scorer: Jack Muldoon.             picture: BARRY RICHARDSON
Stocksbridge scorer: Jack Muldoon. picture: BARRY RICHARDSON
Have your say

Stocksbidge Park Steels’ failure to make the most of a hatful of chances along with some excellent saves from home goalkeeper Craig Ellison, cost them a priceless three-points as they had to be content with a 1-1 draw at bottom of the table Burscough, although it was enough to stretch their cushion over the bottom four to four points

Scott Hogan and Jack Muldoon were creating the home defence all sorts of problems with Ellison at his best to push away Muldoon’s stinging effort. Burscough had their moments notably hitting the post on the quarter hour mark.

But Steels deservedly took the lead a minute before the break when a corner was only half cleared to the edge of the box where Muldoon this time beat Ellison with a powerfully struck right foot shot.

Hogan twice got away from the Burscough defence early in the second half but failed to beat an inspired Ellison. Steels were made to rue te missed chances when the home side grabbed a 68th minute equaliser. A deep cross found Will Jones unmarked at the far post and he had time to bring the ball down before slotting home.

Frickley Athletic extended their unbeaten league run to four games with a 2-2 draw at FC United of Manchester. But theywill be disappointed at not having won after letting slip a two goal lead.

The Blues had knocked United out of the Doodson Sport League Cup five days earlier. James Ashmore gave Frickley a fourth minute lead from the penalty spot after Danny South had been brought down.

Ashmore extended the lead on 27 minutes with a superbly struck free-kick from 35-yards out.

In-between Carlos Rocca curled a fine effort against the post then Mike Norton saw his header bounce to safety off the bar before Norton rattled the post just before the break.

United’s pressure finally paid off when Rocca pulled one back on 62 minutes from an acute angle. The hosts hit the woodwork for a fourth time with Norton again denied but just when it seemed Frickley would hang on, United grabbed the equaliser in time added on courtesy of a header from substitute Nicky Platt.

Worksop Town picked up their first win of 2012 beating Nantwich Town 1-0 to complete a league double over the Cheshire side following a 3-0 victory at Sandy Lane at the beginning of October, which marked the start of Tigers Boss Simon Clark’s tenure.

It was a victory that Worksop just about deserved. Luke Shiels headed a good chance wide shortly before the break. Then Jamie Jackson went even closer midway through the second half when his shot was cleared off the line from a Massiah McDonald cross. However, the two combined for what proved to be the winner on 75 minutes. Jackson sent strike partner McDonald away who ran on to smash a powerful shot past the helpless Jon Brain in the Nantwich goal.

Matlock Town’s poor run continued with a narrow 1-0 defeat at promotion chasing Chorley leaving the Gladiators with just one win from the last 12 league outings. The only goal of the game came with 11 minutes remaining through a Steve Foster penalty awarded for a push.

In a Friday evening game, Sheffield lost out 4-3 to play-off rivals Stamford to a last gasp goal that saw the hosts leapfrog Club into third fourth place.

Steve Woolley gave Club a 19th minute lead running clear to hammer home a fine 25 yard effort. But the home side hit back to lead 3-1 on 72 minutes.

Sheffield were given a lifeline when Dean Whiley turned the ball into his own net to make it 3-2 with eight minutes remaining. Club looked to have earned a point when Matt Varley volleyed in a corner to level the scores in the third minute of time added on only for Stamford to snatch all-three points with the last kick of the game

Tomorrow - Premier Div : North Ferriby United v Matlock Town.

Division One South: Sheffield FC v New Mills.