Steels’ Olympic effort stretches unbeaten run

Non League
Non League
Have your say

Relegation threatened Stocksbridge Park Steels extended their unbeaten league run to three games after a battling 1-1 draw at Rushall Olympic.

Matt Hamshaw gave Steels an early lift curling a superb 25-yard free-kick into the top corner after just five minutes.

Tommy Agus came to Stocksbridge’s rescue with a goal line clearance before Brett Bowden-Lovell might well have doubled the lead but could only direct his close range header over the crossbar.

Bowden-Lovell was in the thick of action again at the other end, but unfortunately it was his foul inside the area that led to Rushall equalising from the penalty spot through David Walker.

The home side enjoyed the lion’s share of possession after the break yet it was Steels that went close to snatching all-three points as Hamshaw had another free-kick deflected wide.

Sheffield FC slumped to a 4-0 defeat at promotion chasing Sutton Coldfield Town as the hosts recorded a league double over Club following a 3-2 victory at Dronfield in October.

Lee Cooksey, Jordan Eagers and striker Nathan Forbes-Swindells all the made their league debuts. Yet despite making a bright start on the 3G surface, Ian Whitehorne’s men found themselves a goal down after eight minutes when in Sutton’s first meaningful attack Luke Chapman got on the end of a cross-field pass to score with a tidy finish.

Forbes-Swindells had the opportunity to mark his debut with a goal only to fire straight at the keeper.

However, the home side doubled their lead on 25 minutes through a Mick Danks shot on the turn from the edge of the box. Eight minutes before the break Luke Edwards volleyed in goal number three from 18-yards. And the second half was only four minutes old when Sutton added the fourth through Kristian Ramsey-Dickinson’s 30-yard lob over the stranded Flynn to effectively end the game as a contest.

Frickley Athletic picked up a vital 2-1 home win against Blyth Spartans to pull nine points clear of the drop zone. All the goals came in the first half with Gavin Allott giving the Blues an 18th minute lead from the penalty spot after David Buck had been brought down. Spartans levelled on the half hour mark through a Joe Kendrick header. But Liam Hardy’s close range effort four minutes before the break proved decisive.

Worksop Town’s promotion hopes took another knock with a 2-1 defeat at Whitby Town to leave the Tigers without a point in four games. Craig Farrell struck twice before the break after Worksop had led through Ashley Burbeary’s 14th minute penalty.

Matlock Town had to settle for a point from a 2-2 home draw against Ashton United after twice leading through a Brad Grayson penalty and an Alex Frost own-goal six minutes from time. Buxton suffered their first league defeat in nine games as FC United won the battle between the play-off contenders 3-0 at the Silverlands.

n TUESDAY: Division One South: Coalville Town v Sheffield FC.

n WEDNESDAY: Premier Division: Worksop Town v Frickley Athletic.