Sheffield stalemate in play-off crunch match

Have your say

Sheffield FC’s run of three wins on the trot ended as they were held 0-0 at home by play-off rivals Loughborough Dynamo.

But the point took Club up a place to fourth on goal-difference from Stamford, who lost 1-0 at home to third-placed Carlton Town.

Sheffield had the better of the opening 45 minutes but failed to make their dominance count. Andy Gascoigne saw his shot superbly saved by the visiting keeper after Warren Burrell had helped on a corner.

Sheffield in the end had Josh Mimms to thank for a point after the keeper made a smart save from Jamie Clarke’s penalty on the hour although sub Dan Williams, who hit a hat-trick against Handsworth after coming off the bench five days earlier, almost became the hero once more when his late effort flew inches wide.

Stocksbridge Park Steels Premier Division survival hopes suffered a setback with a 3-0 defeat at play-off chasing FC United of Manchester.

Matt Wolfenden was the United hero scoring all three goals. It was hard on Steels to trail 1-0 at half-time for they had matched their opponents for much of the half and had the best opening when Scott Hogan pulled the ball back for Alex Callery who had his effort blocked. But Wolfenden added others on 49 and 84 minutes.

Frickley Athletic also remain in trouble following a 2-1 home defeat against relegation rivals Mickleover Sports. It leaves the Blues in 16th and just three points clear of the drop zone having played more games than the teams below them.

Frickley trailed at half-time but got back on level terms on 72 minutes, Danny South heading in from an Ollie Ryan cross. It should have been 2-1 when a defensive slip saw South in on goal where he was brought down as he rounded Sports keeper Damien Clarke. The referee produced just the yellow card when a red had been expected then just to rub salt in the wound Clarke saved James Ashmore’s penalty.

It was to prove a costly miss as Karl Ashton headed the winner two minutes later.

Worksop Town picked up their first league win in four games beating Chasetwon 2-1 away to complete a league double. Ashley Burbeary, with a 31st minute opener, and Luke Shiels scored for Frickley.

Matlock Town edged to a 1-0 home win over Nantwich Town where Lewis McMahon hit the winning goal with a fine 20-yard drive 15 minutes from time.

Struggling Buxton enjoyed a rare home victory beating Ashton United to boost their hopes of retaining their Premier Division status.

The Bucks got off to the ideal start with a Bradley Barraclough goal after just four minutes. The home side doubled the lead on 73 minutes, Kieran Lugsden sweeping home from a corner for what proved to be the winners As Ashton pulled one back through a Aaron Burns free-kick three minutes later.