Sheffield’s home slip

Out of luck: Sheffield'sJack Barnett hits a free kick into the box.      Picture: ben webster
Out of luck: Sheffield'sJack Barnett hits a free kick into the box. Picture: ben webster
Have your say

There was not a single winner amongst the regions teams on a weekend to forget.

Sheffield FC saw their title hopes suffer a setback with a 3-2 home defeat against Coalville Town ending a run of three league wins on the trot, whilst it saw the visitors bounce back from a run of four defeats on the spin.

Sheffield made the breakthrough with a good finish from Conor Higginson after neat link-play with James Knowles.

Matt Roney almost extended the lead moments later but Club found themselves pegged back on 29 minutes when Anthony Carney beat Dan Whatsize with a low drive. The visitors edged in front five minutes after the break, James Dodd converting a corner at the far post, then went further ahead on 64 minutes with a Lewis Dodd close range finish. Tom Burgin reduced the deficit on 90 minutes but it came too late for Sheffield to salvage a point and they slip to fourth ahead of tomorrow’s home clash against promotion rivals Stamford.

In the Premier Division, Stocksbridge Park Steels went down to their first defeat in eight, beaten 2-0 at second-placed Northwich Victoria on a day when all the bottom five lost.

Chris Budrys close range header from a looping cross gave Northwich a 34th minute lead. Steels were denied the equaliser two minutes after the break when the Vics keeper Ben Hinchcliffe made a brilliant block from Jack Muldoon after the striker had gone clear on goal.

It proved the defining moment as Northwich sealed the points with the second 10 minutes later when Wayne Riley went round Ben Scott to roll the ball into the net.

Frickley Athletic slipped up 1-0 at home to Chasetown. Gary Birch heading the winner on 20 minutes. But Frickley will feel they should have come away with at least a point particularly after dominating the second half. Ben Turner fired narrowly wide with the keeper beaten, while a James Ashmore was only inches away with a free-kick.

Worksop Town lost out 2-0 at league leaders Chester in a game they rarely threatened as an attacking force.

Michael Powell got on the end of a free-kick to glance home a header to give the hosts a 32nd minute lead. And it was Powell who wrapped up the points with the second 18 minutes from time side footing in a simple closer range chance.

Buxton remain in trouble after slipping to a seventh home defeat as North Ferriby United left the Silverlands with the spoils in a 3-1 victory despite Steve Ridley giving the Bucks a 18th minute lead.

Matlock Town at least came away with a point from a 2-2 draw at Bradford Park Avenue. But it will feel like a defeat for Mark Atkins side after they let slip a 2-0 lead.

Tyeisse Nightingale headed the Gladiators into an 11th minute lead before doubling the advantage on 25 minutes from a couple of yards. However, Bradford reduced the arrears just past the hour through Mike Duckworth then in the final minute Adam Clayton’s header saw the home side snatch a point.

Tuesday Division One South: Sheffield FC v Stamford.