Sheffield & Hallamshire FA U18 Rep Team 0 – 3 Durham FA U18 Rep Team

Have your say

Monday 12 March 2012, kick-off 6.30pm.

Sandy Lane, Worksop

Sheffield & Hallamshire FA U18 Representative Team rounded off a disappointing season with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Durham FA at Worksop Town’s Sandy Lane ground.

The home side started the game on the front-foot, playing with a high-tempo and forcing three corners during the opening exchanges as they looked to pick up their first league win of the season and move off bottom spot.

They should have been ahead after 20 minutes when Ryan Ruddiforth’s clever free-kick picked out Danny Booth, but the midfielder was unable to convert from eight yards out.

The away side rallied and could have gone ahead themselves just five minutes later. A mix-up in the Sheffield & Hallamshire defence put striker Michael Sweet through on goal, but he could only stab the ball narrowly wide of the home goal.

Durham continued to pile on the pressure as they looked to break the deadlock but were almost caught-out when Sheffield & Hallamshire quickly turned defence into attack. The pacey Ryan Ruddiforth drove the ball into the Durham half before managing to get on the end of a great cross from Adam Green, only to see his spectacular overhead effort saved by the Durham ‘keeper.

The away side nearly snatched the lead seconds before the interval but Sheffield & Hallamshire ‘keeper Lewis Barnsley denied Sweet with a fine save at the striker’s feet.

The visitors started the second-half as they ended the first and forged a number of chances shortly after the restart. The impressive Luke Carr saw his free-kick tipped onto the bar by Barnsley, with the Sheffield & Hallamshire ‘keeper doing well to get in the way of the rebound.

Durham winger Nick Doyle was next to be denied. This time his chipped effort beat Barnsley only to be cleared off the line by substitute Danny Thickett.

Durham eventually broke the deadlock after 60 minutes. Michael SWEET raced clear of the Sheffield & Hallamshire defence and slotted the ball under the advancing Barnsley.

SWEET claimed his second of the night just two minutes later as he drilled the ball home from 18 yards.

The game was put beyond Sheffield & Hallamshire on 64 minutes. Nick DOYLE picked up the ball outside the area and unleashed a rasping left-footed drive into the top corner of the goal, which left the Sheffield & Hallamshire ‘keeper with no chance.

The home-side went in search of a way back into the game but failed to create any real opportunities. Captain Herve Sezerano’s long-range effort being the only notable attempt on the Durham goal.

Sheffield & Hallamshire will now kick-off next season in Division Two, although nine of the match-day squad that faced Durham will still be eligible for selection.


Sheffield & Hallamshire FA

Lewis BARNSLEY (Sheffield FC)

Tom BIRD (Thorncliife FC)

Danny BOOTH (Sheffield FC)

Paul CARR (Sheffield FC)

Adam GREEN (Sheffield FC)

James HAMBLING (Stocksbridge FC)

Jack HILL (Houghton Main)

Alex MOSLEY (Handsworth FC)

Ryan RUDDIFORTH (Sheffield FC)

Spencer RUSSELL (Sheffield FC)

Herve SEZERANO (Capt) (Sheffield FC)

Chris SMITH (Hallam FC)

Danny THICKETT (Worksop Parramore FC)

George THOMAS (Rossington Main FC)

Jack WILLIAMS (Handsworth FC)

Durham FA

Michael HUGHES (Ryhope CW)

Neal BUSSEY (Washington Chevvies)

James BAMBOROUGH (Ryhope CW)

Ross STEAD (Ryhope CW)

Jack LILLEY (Gateshead College)

Callum MORDEY (Lambton Street)

David LUKE (Gateshead College)

Jack HONOUR (Horden CW)

Luke CARR (Gateshead College)

James COOK (Ryhope CW)

Lee MOLE (Gateshead College)

Ryan CUMMINGS (Spennymoor Boys)

Nick DOYLE (Lambton Street)

Spencer SHELVIN (Lambton Street)

Luke RICHARDSON (Lambton Street)

Michael SWEET (Gateshead College)

Referee: Mr. C. Ward (Sheffield)

Assistant Referee: Mr. J. Bramall (Sheffield)

Assistant Referee: Mr. R. Kettell (Sheffield)

Handsworth Boys 3 – 2 Sheffield Wednesday Young Owls

Sheffield & Hallamshire U13s Challenge Cup Final

Sunday 11th March 2012 - 11am kick off Millmoor Juniors FC, Grange Park.

Handsworth Boys picked up the first Sheffield & Hallamshire FA County Cup of the season after narrowly beating Sheffield Wednesday Young Owls in the Under 13s Challenge Cup final at a sunny Grange Park, home of Millmoor Juniors.

Both sides settled into the game quickly; however it was Young Owls who looked most dangerous during the opening stages and saw more of the ball.

The first real chance of the game fell to Handsworth forward Josef Turner after 10 minutes, who fired high and wide from a difficult angle.

Handsworth could have been in-front two minutes later. A lovely ball set Zakaria Khalifa free down right wing, who then turned his man and delivered a cross-cum-shot into the area which had the Young Owls’ ‘keeper beaten, only to see the ball clip the bar and go over.

The Young Owls responded and could have gone ahead but Jordan Willis could only watch as his magnificent free-kick from outside the area crashed the woodwork.

On 27 minutes the Young Owls took the lead, much against the run of play. Striker Rene MARSDEN was first to react to a long ball into the Handsworth area, edging the ball past the oncoming ‘keeper and into the bottom corner.

Handsworth were level just five minutes later. The impressive Handsworth captain Sam Evans was instrumental in the build-up as the Young Owls failed to clear their lines. The ball eventually fell to Zakaria KHALIFA, who placed the ball over the ‘keeper and into the back of the net.

Handsworth began the second half as they ended the first and deservedly took the lead two minutes after the restart. With his back to goal, Josef TURNER spectacularly scooped the ball over the Young Owls ‘keeper from outside the area.

The Young Owls soon found themselves level, much against the run of play, when a wonderful free-kick from Jake FORD sailed over the Handsworth wall and into the top left-hand corner.

The game then opened-up and developed into an end-to-end affair as both sides went in search of a winner with less than twenty minutes left to play, but clear-cut chances were few and far between. The best fell to Handsworth’s Nial Martin, whose header was well saved by Jake Lancini in the Wednesday goal.

The winner came in the 62 minute when the referee judged Jake LANCINI’s prodded effort to have crossed the line after a huge goalmouth scramble, prompting mass celebrations from the Handsworth players.

The Young Owls went in search of an equaliser, however Handsworth held strong until the final whistle to lift the cup in front of a record crowd for an U13 Challenge Cup final.

The cup win is a fitting tribute to the Oliver’s Mount club, who are celebrating their 25th season this year.

Handsworth Boys

1. Spencer BINGLEY

2. Matthew MURPHY

3. Jack LEITCH


5. Tyler BATES



8. Oliver LAW

9. Josef TURNER

10. Kakaria KHALIFA

11. Taylor ASKHAM




15. Mohamed SAEED

16. Nial MARTIN

Sheffield Wednesday Young Owls



3. James MORTON

4. Harry GLAVES

5. Harry HURST

6. Piper McNEIL

7. Danny KING



10. David EJEGWA

11. Jordan WILLIS

12. Jacob RICARDS


14. Sam EVANS



17. Kane GOUGH

22. Tom SMITH