Sheffield FC hold on to end their eight match winless run

Benny Igi-Ehon, right,  scored his 10th goal of season to give Sheffield a 3-0 lead at Newcastle Town before the home side hit back. Photo: Ben Webster
Benny Igi-Ehon, right, scored his 10th goal of season to give Sheffield a 3-0 lead at Newcastle Town before the home side hit back. Photo: Ben Webster
Have your say

Sheffield FC will be delighted their match survived the wet weather which decimated local football fixtures on Saturday.

For the Coach & Horses side ended their eight match winless streak with a 3-2 victory at Newcastle Town as Andy Kiwomya’s men completed a first league double of the campaign.

Club had established what looked a commanding 3-0 lead early in the second half.

However, it seemed their old failings of being unable to hold onto a lead were about to bite them again as Newcastle pulled two goals back, and although the home side piled on the pressure late on, Sheffield managed to see the game out to come away with all-three points which they had deserved over the 90 minutes.

Club got off to a great start when debutant Devante Jacobs, signed from Oldham Athletic, hit a superb 30-yard strike in the eighth minute.

With the experienced Dan White making his first start at the centre-off defence. Sheffield had a calming head at the back and safely got to the interval with their lead intact despite Newcastle finishing the half strongly, although Jacobs went close to grabbing a second just before the break

Sheffield couldn’t have wished for a better start to the second period scoring two quick-fire goals. James Gregory showed a good first touch and turned inside the box to lash home for 2-0 on 53 minutes.

And a couple of minutes later Benny Igi-Ehon’s 10th of the season put Club firmly in the driving seat.

Newcastle got one back just past the hour when White headed into his own net as he attempted to clear at a corner. The goal gave the hosts hope and suddenly they were right back in the contest on 73 minutes as Harry Clayton stole in to tap in an inviting cross. As the home side pressed Tom Hunt had to make an excellent low save as Sheffield had to endure a nervy finish.

Matlock Town went out of the FA Trophy beaten 2-0 at Nantwich Town, while Buxton Evo-Stik Premier Division game was abandoned in the 78th minute with the Bucks trailing 3-1.

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ FA Trophy tie at Gateshead was disappointingly postponed late on with Steels almost at the ground. The question needs to be asked why a decision was left so late with heavy rain in the area. Chris Hilton’s side must now make the long trek tomorrow evening.

In the NCE League, Rossington Main’s game at promotion hopefuls Shirebrook Town was one of only four games to go ahead.

Rossington manager Lee Holmes might well had wished that too had been off after his side finished on the wrong end of a 6-3 scoreline.

Adam Shepherd gave the hosts a 34th minute lead volleying home a rebound after Rossington keeper Richard Watson had made a fine save.

Main quickly hit back as Matt Ellis hooked in from a Jason Stokes cross10 minutes from the break.

Shaun Pendleton curled an excellent free-kick into the top corner to put Rossington 2-1 up on 50 minutes and although Matty Ord restored parity four minutes later, Main went straight back down the other end to make it 3-2 as Jordan Hatton’s shot took a wicked deflection off a defender.

Shirebrook were back on level terms on 57 minute with a goal that had a bit of luckabout it. Liam Greenfield’s free-kick into the middle evaded everyone to find its way into the back of the net.

Jake Currie made the most of Watson’s poor clearance to fire home from 20-yards on the hour mark to give Town a 4-3 lead. Greenfield then scored his second and Shirebrook’s fifth with a shot into the bottom corner before Antony Rowley’s speculative effort from distance put the result beyond doubt 12 minutes from time.

Midweek fixtures -

Tuesday - FA Trophy 1st round: Gateshead v Stocksbridge Park Steels

Evo Stik Premier Division: Buxton v Barwell, Frickley Athletic v Blyth Spartans.

FA Vase 3ird round: Handsworth Parramore v Cleethorpes Town.