Sheffield FC held by bottom club after leading 2-0

Stocksbridge celebrate taking 1-0 lead through Scott Ruthven. Photo: Gillian Handisides
Stocksbridge celebrate taking 1-0 lead through Scott Ruthven. Photo: Gillian Handisides
Have your say

Sheffield FC’s failure to hold onto a lead proved costly once more as the Evo-Stik Division One South’s bottom club Tividale came from 2-0 then 3-1 down to snatch a point at the Coach & Horses.

Sheffield looked set for their first win in six when James Gregory lashed home Sheffield’s opener on seven minutes from the edge of the box.

Then Conor Glavin with a terrific 25-yard free-kick into the top corner had Andy Kiwomya’s men 2-0 up inside the opening 26 minutes as the home side dominated.

Although Malachi Farquharson pulled one back the two goal cushion was restored when Shaw McKenzie got away down the left before crossing for Benny Igi-Ehon to steer home.

But in a spirited second half from the visitors Farquharson pulled one back before late pressure saw Jordan Cullinane-Liburd equalise. Then just to complete a disappointing afternoon Club had Stuart Ludlam sent off in time added on.

Stocksbridge Park Steels continued their fine run by almost pulling off another cup shock following a 1-1 draw at Premier Division Ilkeston FC in the second round of the FA trophy.

Ilkeston had won the last six in an unbeaten run of nine games but manager Chris Hilton had insisted his side would go there looking to win the game.

Steels showed their intent in a positive first half that saw Liam McFadyen put an early header wide before taking a sixth minute lead, Joe Lumsden’s shot deflecting off a defender for Scott Ruthven to tuck away a neat finish.

Stocksbridge looked much the better side in the first half with Lumsden heading just wide , then Matt Reay denied a second for Steels as the keeper made a brilliant stop with his legs.

But Ilkeston started on the front foot in the second half, Charlie Coulson curling a shot just wide then Lewis Walker’s header going just wide. Just past the hour the home side equalised, Joe Burgess tapping in from a lofted cross amid claims that Steels keeper David Reay had been fouled as he went for the ball.

Ilkeston stepped up the pressure but the Steels defence held firm. Indeed Hilton’s men went close to regaining the lead on 81 minutes minutes, Lumsden finding space to curl a decent effort that was unfortunately too close to the keeper. Then is was Reay’s turn to make a decent stop in the final minute to ensure the teams will do it all over again at Bracken Moor tomorrow.

Shaw Lane went out, beaten 2-1 at home by Premier Division Matlock Town where all the goals came in a flurry at the start of the second half.

Nicky Travis gave the Gladiators a 51st minute lead but Steve Istead with a superb 25-yard strike levelled the scores only for Danny Holland to restore the visitors lead with the winner just before the hour mark.

Buxton eased through beating Division One North opponents Radcliffe Borough 5-1 at the Silverlands.

Two goals in as many minutes from Niall Doran and Fabrice Bembo-Leta had the Bucks leading 2-0 at the interval. Ashley Burbeary extended the lead on 54 minutes with Omar McKenzies own-goal two minutes later wrapping up the tie.

The visitors managed to pull one back but Buxton had the last word as Liam Hardy added a fifth eight minutes from time.

Frickley Athletic were in league action where a second half comeback saw the Blues overturn a 1-0 half-time deficit against lowly Stamford at Westfield Lane..

Shaw Richards with a curler had given the visitors a 19th minute lead.

Frickley were level on 51 minutes when Tom McGowan turned a corner into his own net at the near post. From another corner Brad Grayson headed the home side in front on 70 minutes with Simon Lenighan’s free-kick sealing the points two minutes from time.


FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round Replay: Stocksbridge Park Steels v Ilkeston FC.

S & H Senior Cup Third Round: Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Shaw Lane Aquaforce.


S & H Senior Cup Third Round: Frickley Athletic v Phoenix FC.