Sheffield FC go five unbeaten; Stocksbridge Park Steels go through in FA Vase

Alec Denton, scorer of Sheffield's second, takes on the Chasetown defence. Photo: John Taff
Alec Denton, scorer of Sheffield's second, takes on the Chasetown defence. Photo: John Taff
Have your say

Sheffield FC took their unbeaten run to five games with an impressive 2-1 victory against fourth-placed Chasetown at the Coach & Horses ground.

Manager James Colliver had stressed the importance of not undoing all their hard work on the road where Club had taken eight points from the last four outings.

Connor Hall gave an early indication that Sheffield were determined to keep the run going after weaving his way through the Chasetown defence to get off a shot that beat the keeper but not the post.

Hall, though, was not to be denied when they young striker edged Club in front on 24 minutes. Sam Finlaw’s ball was flicked on by the head of Matt Roney for Hall to finish with aplomb.

Hall then turned provider for the second three minutes from the interval playing a perfectly weighted through ball to Alec Denton on the right where the striker hit a driven shot beyond the reach of the diving keeper.

Chasetown got one back seven minutes into the second half. Charles Weston-Hayles got on the end of a low cross to slide the ball home from close range.

The visitors put a good chance to draw level over the bar moments later. Sheffield regained their composure. It took a foul by the visitors keeper on Hall outside his area to stop the striker in his tracks. Denton steered a half chance wide after good work from Ben Partridge and substitute Mohammed Hamid

The visitors found themselves down to 10-men for the final few minutes when Jermaine Johnson was shown a second yellow for bringing down Hamid.

There was a scare in stoppage time when Chasetown won a corner but Archie Sneath, who was making his debut, took the pressure off with a great catch.

Frickley Athletic eased their relegation worries with a 3-1 win at Ashton United.

On-loan Kuda Muswke headed in a cross to give Frickley a 22nd minute lead only for Ashton hit back immediately through a Joe Connor header.

Tyler Williams restored Frickley’s lead early in the second half, slamming the ball into net following a goalkeeping error. Joe Thornton made sure of the points 20 minutes from time after rounding the keeper.

* Stocksbridge Park Steels reached the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy, coming from 2-0 then 3-1 down to win 5-3 at Kidsgrove Athletic.

They trailed 2-0 after 31minutes but were given a lifeline in first half stoppage time when Joe Lumsden was brought down in the area and Harrison Biggins confidently put away the penalty.

The hosts restored the two-goal cushion on 54 minutes when Harry Clayton tucked a shot under David Reay on the break.

But Steels hit back immediately, Nat Crofts cutting inside to score with a crisp low shot past the keeper.

Biggins with a stunning 35yard free-kick had Stocks level on 65 minutes and from that point on there looked only one winner.

Lumsden put them in front seven minutes later with a neat finish under the keeper before substitute Ashley Burbeary added the fifth on his return from injury.

Shaw Lane AFC brushed aside Premier Division leaders Whitby Town to go through 3-0. Jack Tuohy gave them a 24th minute lead firing into the bottom corner and Gavin Allott added the second on 76 minutes with a good turn and finish in the area. Jake Beesley made it three late on.

First half goals from Michael Williams and Marcus Dinanga put Matlock Town through 2-0 at Grantham Town but Buxton’s run is over following a a 3-1 home reversal against Kings Lynn Town after Bradley Abbott had given the Bucks the lead with penalty.

* Tuesday Nov 15 fixtures: Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup 2nd round: Shelley CFC v Sheffield FC.

Intergro League Cup 1st round: Bedworth Utd v Matlock Town, Buxton v Radcliffe Borough, Frickley Ath v Tadcaster, Shaw Lane AFC v Blyth Spartans, Stocksbridge PS v Spennymoor Utd.