SHEFFIELD FC: Club slip up in Play-off battle

editorial image
Have your say

SHEFFIELD FC’S play-off hopes are hanging in the balance after a 2-0 home defeat against promotion rivals Belper Town at Dronfield in a game that saw Club finish with nine-men.

But there was better news for Stocksbridge Park Steels after a crucial 3-1 win at relegation rivals Mickleover Sports saw Chris Willcock’s men climb back out of the bottom four to boost their Premier Division survival hopes.

Club were sunk by two second half goals in quick succession that leaves them clinging onto fifth spot, two points ahead of Belper in sixth who have a games in hand. It started to go wrong for the hosts 10 minutes into the second half when Callum Harrison was sent off for a second yellow card.

Belper made their numerical advantage count by taking a 64th minute lead through a Jonathan Froggatt penalty following a foul on another ex-Sheffield player Chris Adam.

Four minutes later the visitors doubled their lead, Longstaff curling a shot around Billard after intercepting a wayward pass from Martin Foster just outside the area.

To compound Club’s misery Andy Gascoigne was sent-off in the last minute after the midfielder picked up a second yellow card.

Stocksbridge did the business in what was a must win game against Mickleover.

Scott Hogan gave Steels a 26th minute lead chipping the ball over the stranded keeper from Darryl Weston’s through ball. And although Carl Ashton levelled just three minutes later Stocksbridge regained the lead five minutes after the break when Scott Hogan nodded in at the far post from a Mark Whitehouse corner.

Willcock’s men sealed the points seven minutes from time, Jack Muldoon running clear to calmly steer the ball home.

Two goals inside the first 15 minutes from Danny South gave Frickley Athletic a 2-1 home win over Worksop Town to boost their hopes of avoiding the drop. Massiah McDonald pulled one back five minutes before the break but it’s now just one win in seven games for the Tigers.

In the Baris NCE League, Hallam were beaten 1-0 at Louth Town, while Worsbrough Bridge Athletic were beaten by the same scoreline at Grimsby Borough.

Dinnington Town put a dent in Worskop Parramore’s title hopes after coming from behind to win 2-1 at Sandy Lane, Simon Mirfin hitting the winner seven minutes into the second half.

Parkgate won 4-3 at Thackley with goals from Nathan Forbes-Swindells, Chris Wood, Ashley Worsfold and Danny Major with the winner two minutes into time added on. Armthorpe Welfare lost 2-1 at Bridlington Town.