Sheffield FC chalk up consecutive wins; Stocksbridge hit five

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC made it back-to-back league wins for the first time this season as Mick Wadsworth’s men followed up Saturday’s 3-2 victory by coming from behind to beat Carlton Town 4-1.

The home side took the lead through Lee Potts’ shot off the post. Joe Green was forced into a couple of saves as the hosts looked to build on their lead. However, against the run of play Club levelled on 20 minutes as Ashley Longstaff headed home a Tim Whittaker cross.

Sheffield took the lead on 32 minutes when James Gregory crossed for Joel Purkiss to thump the ball home. Club immediately went 3-1 up. Gregory was again the architect with a low cross that saw Longstaff add the finish touch. Richard Purkiss made the points safe with the fourth.

Hallam have handed Ryan Hindley his first managerial role after appointing the former Alfreton Town, Worksop Town, Stocksbridge and Matlock forward to the hot seat. The 32 year-old, who had spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Chesterfield, replaces Steve Toyne who quit last month.

The club said: “We wanted to keep the job within Sheffield and appoint someone who could bring new enthusiasm and spirit to Sandygate and breathe new life into a season that so far has not got off the ground.”

Hindley took charge of last night’s Sheffield Senior Cup tie against County Senior side Wombwell Main. Hallam won 7-6 on penalties after it finished 1-1.

Elsewhere in the Senior Cup, Stocksbridge Park Steels eased to a 5-1 home win over Jubilee Sports. Lee Thompson nodded Steels in front from a Scott Turner cross with Korey Stewart-Dyer extending the lead. Turner put the tie beyond the visitors with the third.

The visitors pulled one back but Steels restoree their three-goal cushion with Stewart-Dyer grabbing his second before Chris White added a fifth eight minutes from time.

A Danny South goal inside the first minute was enough to see holders Frickley Athletic go through 1-0 at AFC Emley, while Handsworth Parramore eased past Frecheville CA 4-0. Rossington Main pulled of the surprise result of the night beating Staveley MW 1-0 where Tom Hyde’s 67th minute strike proved decisive.