Sheffield FC bounce back

Joel Purkiss gives Sheffield FC the lead
Joel Purkiss gives Sheffield FC the lead
Have your say

Sheffield FC put relegated Eastwood Town to the sword with a 4-3 victory at Dronfield to bounce back from the blip at Romulus.

Manager Ian Whitehorne had emphasised how important it was to quickly return to winning ways after seeing their seven-match unbeaten run ended.

And his players responded with a victory that was more comfortable than the scoreline suggests.

Sheffield were in front after just five minutes when a defensive slip allowed Joel Purkiss in on goal to round the keeper. Richard Stirrup doubled the advantage from the edge of the box with a shot that took a deflection to leave the keeper wrong-footed.

Eastwood clawed one back with a neat finish from Kieran Wells after being put through on goal. But Ben Turner restored the two-goal cushion just before the half hour mark rifling home after exchanging passes with James Gregory.

On 58 minutes Sheffield went 4-1 up when Elijah Reid could only turn a Zeph Thomas cross into his own-net to effectively seal the points.

Andrew Hutchinson reduced the arrears with a tremendous strike from distance on 64 minutes. Callum Harrison, Gregory and Thomas could have added to the home tally, before Hutchinson again showed his accuracy from distance to narrow the gap to one goal in the last minute of time added on but it came too late to affect the outcome.

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ plight in the Premier Division’s bottom four deepened with a heavy 6-2 defeat at promotion hopefuls FC United of Manchester that left Steels nine-points adrift of safety.

Despite making a bright start Stocksbridge trailed to Michael Norton’s fourth minute header. Nathan Joynes should have levelled 10 minutes later but his penalty was saved by Jon Worsnop.

Joynes made amends on the half hour mark, slamming the ball home following a scramble but Matt Walwyn nodded in to restore the home sides lead four minutes later.

Norton scored his second and United’s third, heading home from a 65th minute corner.

Astley Mullholland squeezed in the fourth at the near post with Greg Daniels making it 5-1 after beating the offside trap. Stephen Hoyles headed home from a cross to pulled one back for Steels but United had the last word with Daniels making it six in the final minute.

Frickley Athletic beat bottom of the table Droylsden 2-1. Andy Villerman struck from close range after two minutes with Sam Denton grabbing the second nine minutes after the break.

Worksop Town’s poor home form let them down again as Chorley left Sandy Lane comfortable 4-1 winners despite a ricochet off Connor Higginson giving the Tigers a fourth minute lead.

Matlock Town returned to winning ways beating Ilkeston F 1-0 thanks to Danny Holland’s 18-yard effort six minutes from time, while Buxton were held to a goalless draw at lowly Trafford.