Sheffield Club’s home is fortress

Too hot to handle: Sheffield FC's Charlie Weir
Too hot to handle: Sheffield FC's Charlie Weir
Have your say

Sheffield maintained their 100% home record beating Carlton Town 2-1 to go sixth in Division One South, two points behind early pacesetters New Mills.

Club started well and after Steve Woolley went close before Mark Shaw’s side broke through on six minutes. Charlie Weir stinging drive was too hot to hold for the Carlton keeper and David Graham knocked home the loose ball.

Carlton hit the crossbar then forced Dan Whatsize into a fine save. But two minutes into the second half it was all square when the visitors hit the bar again but this time Jermain Hollis drilled in the rebound. Sheffield grabbed the winner on 63 minutes, Matt Roney’s ball finding Conor Higginson to guide home his third goal of the season.

It was not a good day for the region’s Premier Division sides with Stocksbridge Park Steels, Frickley Athletic, Worksop Town and Buxton all losing.

Stocksbridge crashed to a third successive away defeat, 5-1 at Chester, in front of a crowd of over 2,000. Steels went behind in the eighth minute when a cross from the left was pulled back for Iain Howard to slot past Ben Scott. Stocksbridge equalised, Colin Marrison tucking away a Mark Ward corner for his third goal in as many games. Gary Marrow’s men might well have taken the lead eight minutes later but Dominic Riordan headed wide from a Kevin Davies cross.

The home side regained the lead on 33 minutes from a free-kick, dispatched by Matt McGinn. Steels fell further behind, Michael Powell converting a cross from the left. Zeph Thomas almost pulled one back hitting the crossbar in a rare Steels foray. But Chester underlined their superiority when Powell headed in goal number four on 73 minutes with Jerome Wright snatched a fifth in stoppage time.

Frickley Athletic were beaten 2-1 at home by Nantwich Town, despite taking the lead on 15 minutes when new signing from Matlock Town, Ryan Mallon put over a deep cross that was headed back into the middle by Alex Callery for Bad Grayson to thump the ball home. However, Nantwich equalised on the hour through Zak Foster. The visitors completed the turnaround on 72 minutes, Ben Miles heading home a free-kick.

Injury hit Worksop Town are still searching for their first win of the season following a 4-2 defeat at Ashton United.

And struggling Buxton slumped to a fifth consecutive defeat as FC United of Manchester eased to a 4-0 victory. A James Lukic own-goal cost Matlock Town all-three points at Marine. The Gladiators had gone behind to an Anthony Davies header on 32 minutes. Ian Holmes put Matlock back on level terms from 12-yards a minute before the break before giving the visitors the lead from a 57th minute corner But with 15 minutes remaining a right wing cross finished with the ball in the Matlock net with Lukic seemingly getting the last touch.

TODAY - Premier Division: Matlock Town v Mickleover Sports (7.45), Stocksbridge Park Steels v Buxton, Whitby Town v Frickley Athletic, Worksop Town v North Ferriby United.

Division One South: Goole AFC v Sheffield FC.