Seven wins in nine for Stocksbridge

Have your say

On the final day of the Evo-Stik League campaign, Stocksbridge Park Steels made it seven wins from the last nine league outings with a 2-1 victory over Whitby Town at Bracken Moor.

They should have had the game wrapped up inside the opening 20 minutes only to be let down by some poor finishing. Steels had got off to a great start when Richard Stirrup steered the ball home from Mark Ward’s through ball.

Four minutes later, Ward beat the offside trap only to lift the ball over both keeper and crossbar. Jack Muldoon was then denied by a brave stop from Thomas Courtney, who as a result was stretchered off with a suspected broken arm to be replaced by veteran shot stopper David Campbell in the ninth minute.

Stocksbridge continued to create chances with Ward firing another opening over the bar.

Three minutes before the break Christopher Bachelor rattled the Steels bar from a free-kick before Whitby levelled in first half stoppage time with a contentious penalty given against Brett Lovell for a push and converted by Jimmy Beadle.

Campbell made a good low save to deny Ward on 52 minutes before Steels regained the lead a minute later. Muldoon was fouled in the area and Colin Marrison converted the penalty.

Andy Ring came on just before the hour for his 300th appearance for the club. Muldoon had the chance to wrap up the points on 69 minutes but fired over. Ratcliff then had to make a smart save to keep the lead intact, while sub Ben Leonard hit the bar late on.

Frickley Athletic escaped relegation despite going down 1-0 at home against North Ferriby United as a result of Burscough’s 2-1 home defeat against Marine and Hucknall Town’s 2-0 reversal at Worksop Town, where Jamie Jackson and Ben Tomlinson condemned their former landlords to the drop.

Ross Hannah scored all three as Matlock Town won 3-1 at Buxton to deny the hosts a place in the play-offs, while relegated Retford United were thumped 6-0 at Chasetown.

In Division One South, Sheffield FC were beaten 4-2 at Lincoln United, their second defeat in three days.

Club trailed to a 30th minute Sam Mullarky strike and although Andy Gascoigne levelled two minutes after the interval, Mullarky pounced on 73 and 80 minutes to complete his hat-trick with Scott Coupland adding the fourth two minutes later Jamie Hadfield headed Sheffield’s second.

A 35th minute goal from Gavin Allott saw AFP clinch the Rotherham Charity Cup with a 1-0 victory over S&M Canklow in front of a big crowd at Parkgate last night.