Scott Bates brace clinches title for Handsworth

Hero: Scott Bates' two goals clinched the title for Handsworth.                 picture: PETER GOLDSTRAW
Hero: Scott Bates' two goals clinched the title for Handsworth. picture: PETER GOLDSTRAW
Have your say

THE winner-takes-all battle between leaders Handsworth and second-placed Worksop Parramore at Sandy Lane, went the way of the visitors with two goals from Scott Bates early in each half giving Handsworth a 2-0 victory and with it the Division One Championship.

With Handsworth needing just a point to land the title, Bates fired Russ Eagle’s side into a second minute lead from close range before grabbing the all import second on 57 minutes after rounding the keeper to put the visitors in the box seat.

To add to Parramore’s misery the defeat meant they also missed out on the second-automatic promotion place after Glasshoughton Welfare came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at AFC Emley to pip Darren Bland’s side to second spot.

Scott Holt on 22 minutes then Paul Banton on the hour against his former club gave Emley a 2-0 lead, which looked like giving Parramore a helping hand towards clinching a promotion place. However, Sean Hazelden own-goal on 68 minutes gave Glasshoughton a route back into the game with the visitors then scoring twice inside the last six minutes through a Steve Bennett double to snatch the points.

Dinnington Town rounded off an excellent second half to the season with a 3-2 victory over Grimsby Borough. It saw Steve Toyne’s men finish with a sixth win from an unbeaten seven-match run and their 13th success in 18 league games since the turn of the year.

Jon Roper gave Town a 21st minute lead with a dipping shot from out on the right that went in just under the bar. Luke Framthorpe levelled on 41 minutes but just a minute later Dinnington were back in front through a Liam Cartledge penalty awarded for a push on Yacine Boysangaran.

Town stretched their lead with a 63rd minute own-goal before Grimsby made it a tense finale when Ricky Creer pulled one back five minutes from time.

Rossington Main rounded off an excellent campaign with an 11th away win of the season beating Louth Town 2-1 to climb to sixth in Division One.

The visitors broke the deadlock on nine minutes when Willie McGhie took full advantage of a mix-up in the home defence on the edge of the box to side-foot into an empty net.

Rossington increased their lead on the stroke of half-time. Louth were penalised after the keeper picked up what was adjudged to be a back-pass. From the resultant indirect free-kick eight-yards out the ball was touched to Jonathan Mirfin who smashed the ball through a mass of players standing on the goal line.

The hosts pulled one back in the 92nd minute through Matt Kennedy who fired in at the second attempt after Lee Appleby had saved his initial effort.

Askern Villa made it five wins from the last seven at home after coming from a goal down to beat Eccleshill United 2-1. Marcus Edwards nudged the visitors in front four minutes before the break but two goals from Gary Mundy ensured Villa ended the season on a high note. Maltby Main’s 2-0 home win over Selby Town coupled with Lincoln Moorlands Railway 5-4 home defeat against Brighouse Town saw the Miners retain their Premier Division status.

Rob Branagan gave Maltby an early goal but they had to wait until the 90th minute for the second when Paul Lavender found the net with a terrific 20-yard strike.

Parkgate ended with a disappointing 2-0 home defeat against Thackley. Delroy White gave the visitors the lead with Darrell Kendal getting the second.

Retford United go into tomorrow’s home game against Thackley knowing three-points will see them land the Premier Division championship after their 2-2 draw at title rivals Bridlington Town.

Town needed a win to take the title and took a 15th minute lead through Craig Hogg but the Badgers hit back to lead 2-1 on 65 minutes with goals from Carl Snowden and Karl Slack only for Billy Logan to hit a last minute equaliser.

Armthorpe Welfare gave outgoing manager Des Bennett a winning farewell as they beat Pickering Town 3-1.

Bennett is standing down to concentrate on his business and family ending a 24-year association with the club, 13 of which were as manager.

The Welfare boss played for 81 minutes before departing the field of play, though not before making a telling contribution. Paul Ashton gave Armthorpe the lead in the last minute of the first half but Pickering equalised on 63 minutes when Carl Stewart volleyed home from six-yards.

Welfare regained the lead with the help of their legendary boss. Henry Sibenge put over a cross that Bennett expertly chested down before laying the ball off to Dave Buck to tuck away on his return to the side after two months out.

With seven minutes remaining Armthorpe made it three to end a run four defeats on the spin. Buck this time turning provider crossing from the left for Sibenge to head home.


Today - Premier Div: Lincoln Moorlands Rail v Staveley MW. Div One: Hallam v Worsbrough Bridge Ath.

Tuesday - Premier Division: Retford Utd v Thackley.

Wednesday - Presidents Cup Final: Barton Town OB v Handsworth (at Winterton Rangers FC). Premier Division: Staveley MW v Scarborough Ath. Division One: AFC Emley v Worsbrough Bridge Ath.

Friday - Premier Division: Tadcaster Albv Staveley MW.