Rippon tears hole in the Tigers’ title aspirations

editorial image
Have your say

Handsworth Parramore dealt another blow to Worksop Town’s title hopes as the landlords came out on top against their tenants with a 1-0 victory at Sandy Lane.

Handsworth keeper Archie Sneath made a brilliant save to deny Jake Scott from 10-yards to prevent Worksop taking a 23rd minute lead.

Five minutes later the Ambers went in front with what proved to be the winning goal when Alex Rippon headed home from an inswinging corner. The Tigers felt there had been a foul on keeper Jon Stewart which saw Tom Burgin and Stewart booked for remonstrating.

Stewart saved well from Luke Fletcher then Sam Smith’s point blank header on the stroke of half-time to keep Worksop in the game.

Sneath then came to Handsworth’s rescue at the start of the second half, saving with his legs after Andy Ofosu had got in on goal, while it took a goal line clearance to prevent Smith doubling the Ambers lead two minutes from time.

The defeat was softened for Worksop with leaders Shaw Lane Aquaforce being held to a goalless draw at Barton Town Old Boys. However, it leaves the Tigers three-points behind Shaw Lane with the leaders having a game in hand on Worksop, who have three to play.

Third-placed Tadcaster Albion remain in the title race following a hard earned 4-1 win at relegated Retford United.

A Mike Garrod penalty five minutes from time condemned Parkgate to a 1-0 defeat at Thackley in what was the Steelmen’s final game.

Two goals inside the opening seven minutes from Ryan Smith and Scott Alcock proved enough to give Athersley the spoils in a 2-1 victory over Garforth Town despite the visitors pulling one back before the interval.

Battling Armthorpe Welfare came away from in-form Pickering Town with a good point from a 1-1 draw. The host’s went in front on the stroke of half time, but despite Armthorpe having Michael Bunn sent off two minutes after the break. Anthony Ryan grabbed a 51st minute leveller after latching onto Richard’s Smith’s flick-on. Staveley MW were held 0-0 at home by Liversedge.

Hallam extended their unbeaten run to three games after coming from behind to beat Dronfield Town 2-1 away to leave the Countrymen requiring two points from their remaining two games to reach manager Ryan Hindley’s 50-point target.

Richard Marples low drive four minutes from the break edged the home side sin front. Hallam were level eight minutes after the restart when Jack Hargreave showed good control inside the box to score with a neat finish on the turn.

Michael Blythen rattled the Dronfield woodwork then Hargreaves saw his effort cleared of the line before Hallam grabbed the winner seven minutes from time. Hargreaves rounding the keeper to score from a tight angle from Danny Flynn’s through ball.

Penistone Church slipped to a third defeat in the spin losing 2-0 at AFC Mansfield, while Worsbrough Bridge Athletic lost 1-0 at Yorkshire Amateur where Harrison Blakey’s seventh minutes effort proved the difference between the teams.

Rossington Main went down 2-1 at Knaresborough Town after Cameron Johnson had given them a 22nd minute lead. AFC Emley’s feint promotion hopes hit the dust with a 2-1 home reversal against Selby Town. Max Leonard had given the hosts 16th minute lead from the penalty spot but the visitors hit back to score twice late on.