Parkgate pipped by leaders after being in front three times

editorial image
Have your say

Parkgate were agonisingly close to causing the upset of the day when leading 3-2 at leaders Tadcaster Albion going into stoppage time only for the hosts to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with two late goals.

The Steelmen thought they had won a penalty inside the opening minutes when Scott Whittington appeared to be brought down just inside the area only for the referee to award a free-kick on the edge of the box.

However, Scott Lowe curled the kick around the wall to give Steve Adams’ side a fourth minute lead.

Albion levelled through Carl Stewart but Parkgate reigned the lead four minutes into the second half, Scott Whittington tucking home the rebound after George Morley’s header had been parried. The hosts drew level for a second time on 56 minutes when Stewart Rice poked home following a scramble. The Steelmen went in front for a third time 10 minutes later as George Morley tucked away a Lowe free-kick at the far post. Parkgate looked to have won it only for a Josh Barrett deflected shot to bring Tadcaster level and worse was to follow when in the third minute of injury time Mitch Adam lobbed Richard Watson for the winner.

Ten-man Staveley MW came from 2-0 down to score twice inside the last six minutes to earn a 2-2 draw at fourth placed Brighouse Town. With Pat Lindley sent off just past the hour mark for a second yellow the Miners conceded twice but bravely fought back with a Ryan Damms penalty on 84 minutes and a Reece Littlejohn equaliser three minutes later.

Maltby Main slipped to a fourth straight league defeat, 3-1 against Bridlington Town at Muglet Lane. Craig Hogg’s first half brace put the Seasiders in control but Shaun Mitchell rifled home four minutes into the second half to give the Miners hope only Bridlington to seal the points with a controversial Joel Sutton penalty.

Liam Wilkin and Reece Thompson gave Retford United a 2-0 win at Athersley Recreation, while Armthorpe Welfare slumped to their biggest defeat in three-years, 8-1 at Albion Sports.

Hallam were beaten 2-1 at by Clipstone. The visitors led 2-0 at the break but the Countrymen produced a sterling second half performance but had just a Liam Morris 81st minute volley to show it.

Dinnington Town were beaten 4-0 at Knaresborough Town but Worsbrough Bridge Athletic extend their unbeaten away record to 10 games with a 4-0 victory at Louth.

Dronfield Town came away with an excellent 1-1 draw at Pontefract Collieries thanks to John Doran’s second half equaliser. Shaw Lane Aquaforce drew 0-0 at Yorkshire Amateur a result that cost them top spot in Division One.