Parkgate lose in five goal opening thriller

Derby duel : Handsworth win bragging rights over Hallam.    Picture: Sarah Washbourn
Derby duel : Handsworth win bragging rights over Hallam. Picture: Sarah Washbourn
Have your say

The opening day of the season saw last season’s Premier Division runners-up Parkgate beaten at Scarborough Athletic as the home side came from behind to win 3-2.

Promoted Staveley got off to a good start with a 1-0 victory at Brighouse Town, while Maltby Main stunned promotion favourites Bridlington Town with a last gasp goal giving the Miners a 3-2 victory at Muglet Lane. Handsworth took the local bragging rights in Sunday’s derby at Olivers Mount beating Hallam 1-0.

It wasn’t the start Dinnington Town were hoping for either following their relegation to Division One as Steve Toyne’s side crashed 5-1 at home against Pontefract Collieries.

Parkgate dominated the first 45 minutes at Scarborough taking a 2-1 lead into the break. Nathan Forbes-Swindells had scored on 12 minutes tapping in a Tom Jowitt cross. The hosts levelled through on 36 minutes but it took Parkgate just three minutes to regain their lead when Forbes-Swindells found the bottom corner after a penetrating run from deep.

Scarborough equalised and Parkgate found themselves down to 10 men as substitute Jordan Turner was given his marching orders for a second yellow card. The home side made the most of their numerical advantage to take the points.

Staveley boss Billy Fox got just the start he’d hoped for on their return to the Premier Division with a solitary goal victory at Brighouse Town. The goal came from last season’s top scorer, 39-goal Ryan Damms, who netted from a tight angle from Martin Foster’s pass.

Maltby Main enjoyed a result to saviour with their victory over much fancied Bridlington Town. Lee Mellon opened the scoring from the penalty spot following a trip on Paul Lavender only for Town to level two minutes.

Maltby regained their lead on the hour mark with Lavender getting the finishing touch but the visitors restored parity.

With the game drifting towards a draw Maltby substitute Nathan Houghton, slotted home at the far post.

Barry Payne pounced four minutes from time to give new-look Retford United a 1-0 home win over Barton Town OB.

But Armthorpe Welfare slipped to a 2-1 home defeat against Thackley. The visitors led through an eighth minute Dean Walters strike which they held until the 54th minute when Adam Lee netted with a low finish from a Leo Fortune West through ball.

But Ben Hardy struck with 19 minutes remaining.

There were defeats for both the relegated sides in Division One, Hallam and Dinnington Town.

Handsworth took the spoils against Hallam courtesy of half-time substitute Sam Smith, who fired home the only goal of the game.

John Mellor gave Dinnington a lead at home to Pontefract Collieries inside the first minute with a fine strike from just outside the box.

Dinnington thought they had won a penalty on 16 minutes when Liam Cartledge went down under a challenge inside the box only for the referee to wave play on.

Just when it seemed Town would take a 1-0 lead into the break, Pontefract levelled on the stroke of half-time through a Greg McGory free-kick.

The visitors took a 61st minute lead through a Will Ramsey downward header with James Hicks extending the lead. Warren Radford was left with only Town keeper Jack Aldred to beat to make it 4-1 on 85 minutes before McGory grabbed his second and Pontefract’s fifth in the final minute.

League newcomers Worksop Parramore hammered AFC Emley 4-0 at their new home of Sandy Lane.

Goals from Tom Mullen, Lee Thompson and Gavin Davis saw Parramore’s race into a three-goal lead inside the opening 28 minutes before veteran Ryan Hindley put the icing on the cake.

Rossington Main eased to a convincing 5-0 victory at Teversal. Jason Stokes opened the scoring on 33 minutes with a fine 22-yard strike. Jordan Hatton doubled the advantage two minutes before the break slotting home from a Liam Charlton cross at the second attempt.

Charlton then set-up substitute Lewis Hilton for the third on 63 minutes before getting in on the scoring act himself in the 82nd minute after rounding two defenders with Lee Holmes heading goal number five three minutes from time. Shirebrook Town’s Carl Haslam scored twice in the second half to send Askern Villa down to an opening day 2-0 home defeat.

TUESDAY: League Cup First Round: Teversal v Hallam. Wilkinson Sword Trophy First Round: Rossington Main v Albion Sports.

Premier Division: Long Eaton United v Armthorpe Welfare.

WEDNESDAY Presidents Cup First Round: Handsworth v AFC Emley, Staveley MW v Thackley, Winterton Rangers v Parkgate.

FRIDAY Division One: Handsworth v Dinnington.