Non-league round-up: Club exit cup after heavy defeat at Shaw Lane

Have your say

Sheffield FC made their second trip to Shaw Lane Aquaforce having drawn 1-1 in the league last month but there was to be no happy return.

Club crashed to a 4-1 defeat in the preliminary round of the Doodson Sport League Cup.

The hosts fired an early warning shot across the bows when Lee Bennett’s effort went just wide of the post.

The warning was not heeded as Shaw Lane edged in front on 10 minutes. Adam Priestley made a good run down the left to deliver a driven cross that Sheffield fullback Alfie Hammond could only divert into his own net as he attempted to clear.

The home side doubled their advantage on the half hour as Matt Thornhill took advantage of a defensive mix up to coolly steer home.

Sheffield went agonisingly close to an instant reply when Temi Reheem’s header smacked against the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

From almost being 2-1, it suddenly became 3-0 on 36 minutes as Lee Morris finished smartly at the back post to leave Club with it all to do.

It got worse for Sheffield eight minutes into the second half as Shaw Lane made it 4-0 when an awful clearance gifted Morris his second.

A Muhammed Sabo own-goal 10 minutes later gave Club just a glimmer of hope but it proved to be no more than a consolation effort as Sheffield bowed out at the first hurdle.

In the NCE League, Hallam had to settle for a point from a 1-1 draw against Shirebrook Town at Sandygate Road.

The Countrymen took a 18th minute lead when Scott Preece’s driven cross saw Town defender Ryan Lawty turn the ball into his own net.

Shirebrook drew level on 63 minutes through a Ashley Rawson volley. Ryan Hindley’s high fliers though came close to a winner late on when Elliott Simpson’s free-kick rattled the visitors crossbar.

Handsworth Parramore climbed up to third in the Premier Division with a 2-1 win at Rainworth, with goals from Keiran Wells and a Sam Denton header before former Hallam striker Liam Morris pulled one back 10 minutes from time.

Staveley MW romped to a 5-1 win at Liversedge, while a late penalty earned Penistone Church a point from a 1-1 draw at Selby Town.