Non-League: It’s unlucky 13 for Stockbridge Park Steels

Have your say

There were defeats for both Sheffield clubs as their winless run continued in the Evo-Stik NPL.

Stocksbridge Park Steels went down 4-1 at home against promotion chasing FC United of Manchester that left the Bracken Moor club without a win in 13 games, while Sheffield FC were beaten 2-0 at Gresley FC to leave Club with no win in six.

FC United maintained their place in the play-off places after making it six wins on the spin but it was a scoreline that flattered the visitors a little.

Charlie Raglin gave the United a second minute lead thumping the ball home from six-yards after a header had been blocked at a corner.

Stocksbridge though should have turned the game around before the visitors scoring a second 11 minutes from the break.

Alex Callery’s chip over the keeper dropped the wrong side of the post after he had been put in on goal by Danny South before South then shot tamely at the keeper when being put in on goal by Liam Royles. And it was from a Royles cross that South failed to convert as another chance went beginning.

However, when Norton had a near post header blocked from the resultant corner Raglan powered home a header to increase the visitors lead.

Stocksbridge were given a lift in first half stoppage time when from a United corner Jake Eyre got on the end of a clearance to race away a thump home an excellent strike inside the keeper near post.

At the start of the second half only a timely last ditch tackle by Raglan on Eyre inside the box to denied the on-loan Sheffield United youngster a clear sight of goal. But on 52 minutes United restored their two goal cushion. From a corner Norton saw his header blocked on the line but Matt Wolfenden was on hand to bundle home the rebound.

Stocksbridge never looked like getting back in the game from there on in and in the final minute a mistake by Brett Lucas allowed Norton to set up substitute Astley Mulholland for a simple finish.

Two goals inside the last 16 minutes saw Sheffield come away from Gresley empty handed after Ian Whitehorne’s side had looked on course for a point from a dour game.

Liam Mitchell was back in goal following illness and the keeper made a fine save from a Paulo Piliero header. In a first half where chances were at a premium Sheffield had a glorious chance to take the lead on the half hour mark but somehow Joel Purkiss missed Matt Roney’s cross with the goal at his mercy.

Mitchell did well to block with his legs as Gresley threatened after the break before the hosts edged in front on 74 minutes when Rob Spencer slid home a cross. Gresley wrapped up the points with a second nine minutes from time as Zibusiso Nyatitio slotted home from another ball into the middle.

Sheffield had the opportunity to pull one back in time added on when Zeph Thomas was fouled in the area but Andy Gascoigne saw his spot kick saved.

Worksop Ton saw their title hopes dented with a 1-0 defeat at leaders Chorley as the Tigers failed to score for only the second time in the league this season.

The decisive goal came on 18 minutes when Kiel O’Brien pounced from close range after a free-kick had been knocked down.

Frickley Athletic took a step closer to Premier Division safety with a 3-2 win at already relegated Droylsden.

Fernando Moke on 19 minutes and a Domaine Rouse own-goal sent Frickley in leading 2-0 at the break. The hosts pulled one back just past the hour but Gavin Allott slotted home from a Moke cross to restore the two goal cushion on 76 minutes which proved to be the winners as the host reduced the arrears two minutes later.

Three first half goals from Danny Holland, a David Haggerty header and a Shaun Tuton volley saw Matlock Town keep their play-off hopes alive with a 3-1 win at Ilkeston FC.

Buxton are anxiously looking over the shoulder after Trafford came from behind to win2-1 at the Silverlands after Craig Kings had given the Bucks a 42nd minute lead.

Meanwhile, in the Toolstation NCEL, two late goals saw Parkgate beat Staveley Miners Welfare 3-1 at Green Lane as the Steelmen took a giant stride towards Premier Division safety by making it back-to-back wins.

Piers Bond gave the home side a second minute lead although Pat Lindley levelled midway through the second half, goals from Scott Preece and George Morley inside the last five minutes sealed only Parkgate’s a fourth home win of the season, (see Grassroots in Fridays Star for pictures and full report).

After parting company with Chris Sellars last week, managerless Hallam slumped to a 5-2 defeat at Hemsworth MW. The Countrymen made a dreadful start as two goals from Nick Guest and a Carl Fothergill penalty put the home side 3-0 inside the opening 12 minutes before Mark West quickly reduced the arrears on his return to the team. Rob Crapper put the result beyond doubt with Hemsworth fourth on 83 minutes and although Joe Highfield pulled one back two minutes later the home side had the last word when Guest completed his hat-trick in stoppage time.

Dinnington Town eased to a third win on the trot beating bottom of the table Appleby Frodingham 7-3 after the visitors had taken a 17th minute lead. But two goals in as many minutes from Thomas Elliott and Simon Duckworth turned the game on its head. Grant Allott extended the lead three minutes from the break before completing his hat-trick in the second half added to a Greg Taylor effort and an own goal before a late rally saw Appleby pull two back.

Dronfield Town beat Grimsby Borough 4-0 at Stonelow Road. Callum Mawbey gave Town the lead three minutes before the break before running in three more in the second half through Lewis Naylor, Andy Grange and Dan Wood.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic made it two wins on the trot beating Teversal 4-1 at Park Road.

Dean Shirt gave the Briggers a 11th minute lead before heading a second seven minutes later then was forced off with injury. Teversal pulled one back just after the break but substitute Jed Phillips bravely restored the two goal cushion as he collided with the post that ended his afternoon. Chris White sealed the points with a fine volley five minutes from time.

Lee Holmes first half goal proved enough to earn Rossington Main a 1-0 win at promotion chasing Cleethorpes Town, a result that will have been welcomed by high-riding Shaw Lane Aquaforce who won by the same scoreline at Pontefract Collieries thanks to Danny Frost’s 17th minute strike.

Maltby Main made it three wins on the spin beating lowly Winterton Rangers 2-1 at Muglet Lane. Callum Mackie swept the Miners into a fifth minute lead with Lee Jordan’s 34th minute 30-yard lob proving the winner as the visitors pulled one back just before the hour.

Armthorpe Welfare had to settle for a point after a 1-1 home draw against managerless Glasshoughton Welfare, who snatched a share of the spoils two minutes from time after Craig Aspinall had given the home side a 55th minute lead.

Worksop Parramore saw the promotion hopes take a knock following a narrow 1-0 defeat at Premier Division leaders Tadcaster Albion.

Retford United won 5-2 at Thackley to end a run of five games without a win. Reece Thompson and Gavin Cooper both scoring twice added to a late Patrick Mullen effort. Athersley Recreation also enjoyed a comfortable away win beating strugglers Lincoln Moorlands Railway 4-0. And AFC Emley too enjoyed a fine away win, 3-0 at Hall Road Rangers with first half goals from Doran Jordan, Paul Sykes and Steve Kenworthy