Non-League Football: Stocksbridge goalkeeper’s the hero with late goal to nick a point

- David Reay - Stocksbridge goalkeeper  scored a late goal - Credit PETER REVITT
- David Reay - Stocksbridge goalkeeper scored a late goal - Credit PETER REVITT
Have your say

Goalkeeper David Reay earned ten-man Stocksbridge Park Steels a point in added time against Belper Town at Bracken Moor.

Steels’ hopes of salvaging a draw looked to had gone when they had substitute Ben Rhodes sent off eight minutes from time, for a second yellow cards in the space of five minutes.

However, four minutes into added time Reay went forward for a corner and squeezed in a shot, before running the full length of the field to celebrate.

Steels had started the game well enough with Scott Ruthven having a goal ruled out in what was a very tight offside call after Joe Lumsden had cleverly threaded the ball through the defence.

Richard Stirrup then delivered a low ball across the box where Brodie Litchfield just failed to get a vital touch.

Stocksbridge’s passing became sloppy, twice giving in the ball away and giving Leandro Browne and Alex Steadman chances.

Belper, however, grabbed the lead on the half hour mark when Kieran O’Connell’s shot across the box fell kindly for Browne to tuck home at the far post.

Just before the break Lumsden played in Litchfield on the left side of the area but the striker’s shot from a tight angle was hooked away in front of goal.

Ten minutes into the second half Stirrup took advantage of a defender slipping to run in the box, but his effort from an acute angle was blocked, before Todd Jordan get free at a corner but his header dropped wide of the post.

Stocksbridge were enjoying a good spell of possession but Belper stood firm, getting bodies behind the ball and in a breakaway might have added a second when Browne got clear on the left.

But his ball across the face of goal was a poor one, allowing Steels to clear.

With three minutes remaining Rory Coleman looked sure to equalise but he was denied by a superb last ditch tackle by Will Dennis as the midfielder was about to pull the trigger, before Reay became Steels unlikely goal hero.

In the FA Trophy, only Shaw Lane are still in the hat for the second round draw after they were held 2-2 at home against Evo Stik Division One side Ramsbottom United.

Indeed, it took a last minute Spencer Harris penalty to force a replay after the visitors had gone 2-1 up early in the second half to cancel out the Ducks’ 14th minute opener from debutant Rod Orlando-Young.

Frickley Athletic bowed out 4-1 at Ashton United, the hosts scoring three times in the last 14 minutes after Gavin Allot had fired Frickley level on 70 minutes.

Buxton were beaten 2-1 at home by Division One Cleethorpes Town with Luke Hinsley’s 90th minute effort coming too late to rescue the tie.

Matlock Town went out 3-2 to a late goal after Glossop North End after Shaun Harrad’s brace had looked like earning a replay.

Fixtures, Tuesday: Premier Division: Ashton United v Matlock Town, Buxton v Rushall Olympic.