No home comforts for Sheffield FC as Club ship six goals in sixth successive home defeat

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC slumped to their heaviest defeat of the season as their poor home form continued with a sixth straight defeat at the Coach & Horses ground.

Chasetown beat them 6-2 but Club started brightly enough and ought to have taken an early lead when Ben Algar teed up Matt Roney - only for the winger to blaze over the bar when well placed.

Chasetown then took the lead when Paul Sullivan’s effort took a huge deflection to loop over keeper Jake Eastwood.

Club were back on level terms three minutes later as James Gregory thumped home, but Sheffield gifted the visitors the lead four minutes from the break when Nathan Waite who hammed the ball past Eastwood.

Chasetown increased their lead nine minutes into the second half with Sullivan finding the bottom corner for his second as the home defence backed off.

Waite then grabbed his second stabbing the ball home from close range to effectively put the game beyond Sheffield.

There was just a glimmer of hope on 73 minutes when Liam Bryan pulled it back to 4-2, but Hadfield’s own-goal gaffe on 80 minutes just about summed up Sheffield’s afternoon before Chasetown rubbed salt in the wound with the sixth two minutes from time as Richard Davies with well struck effort from distance left Eastwood with no chance.

It was also a bad day at the office for Stocksbridge Park Steels as Chris Hilton’s side slipped to a first defeat in four, losing 2-1 at Tividale.

The home side edged in front on 22 minutes when a cross into the box was met by Leigh Downing, whose shot took a wicked deflection off Rory Coleman to completely wrong-foot Steels keeper Peter Denton.

Steels equalised on 54 minutes through Coleman, But somewhat against the run of play Tividale retook the lead on 68 minutes when the ball found its way to Downing on the left of the area to fire past Denton.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic climbed out of the bottom four following an excellent 3-1 away success at Rushall Olympic.

Gavin Allott was the Blues here with a hat-trick of penalties. The first came in the 22 minutes after Allot himself had been bundled over.

Rushall equalised four minutes later when Jake Heath squeezed the ball in at the far post. But Allott restored the lead with a second spot kick on 38 minutes this time after Reece Thompson had been brought down before the striker complete his treble midway through the second half following a trip in Luke Hornsey.

Matlock Town lost out 3-0 at home against promotion chasing Curzon Ashton, while goals from Liam Hardy and Shaun Tuton gave Buxton a hard earned 2-1 win at promotion rivals Workington.

Fixtures: Tuesday, March 31: Division One South: Sheffield FC v Goole AFC, Stocksbridge Park Steels v Norton United.