Mixed feelings for Steels after last-gasp leveller

editorial image
Have your say

On the face of it Stocksbrisdge Park Steel’s 1-1 draw against play-off chasing Gresley FC looked a good point.

But it must almost have felt like a defeat as the visitors, who had gone into the game on the back of a 10 match unbeaten run, grabbed a stoppage time equaliser after being second best for most of the game.

Manager Chris Hilton had mixed feelings afterwards: “I would have settled for a point before the game if I’d been offered it,” he said.

“But to concede so late on was disappointing; we just needed that second goal.”

Stocksbridge finally broke the deadlock on the hour when Brad Grayson’s low shot squirmed through the keeper’s arms and legs. The keeper made up for his error 10 minutes later making a superb save to palm away Grayson’s angled shot.

Just when it seemed Steels were over the line, a ball into the box in the second minute of time added on was not dealt with and substitute Rob Mulonga forced the ball home from close range to give Gresley a point they had barely deserved.

There was more frustration for Jordan Broadbent as Sheffield FC boss threw away a lead for the third game in a row as promotion hopefuls Sutton Coldfield Town left the Coach & Horses with all three points from a 3-2 victory.

Club started well and some decent football saw them deservedly take a 21st minute lead. Ben Turner, Zeph Thomas and James Gregory were all involved before James Knowles hit a firm strike wide of the keeper from Gregory’s square pass.

But Sutton were suddenly back on level terms on the hour when Justin Richards was left with an easy tap in.

Sheffield quickly put the setback behind them to retake the lead a minute later, John McGrath setting up Thomas whose shot took a deflection as it looped over the keeper.

Back came Sutton again as Kristian Ramsey-Dickson steered in a ball into the box from close range. Worse was to come for Sheffield when with seven minutes remaining, the visitors grabbed what proved to be the winner with Ramsey-Dickson grabbing his second .

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic dropped into the bottom four following a 3-2 home reversal at the hands of relegation rivals Witton Albion.

Reece Thompson headed Athletic into a 14th minute lead but a deflected shot saw the visitors’ level on the half hour mark.

A minute later Frickley had Luke Hinsley sent-off for allegedly spitting at an opponent with Albion then snatching the lead on the stroke of half time.

Gavin Allott missed a penalty six minutes after the break before Witton made the most of the let off by extending their lead on 66 minutes leaving Reece’s second goal in stoppage time no more than a consolation effort.

Buxton picked up a point from a goalless draw at play-off rivals Curzon Ashton, while an early goal sent Matlock Town down to narrow 1-0 at home against fourth-placed Workington.

n Fixtures, tomorrow: Premier Division: Buxton v Ramsbottom United, Frickley Athletic v Halesowen Town,

Division One South: Market Drayton Town v Sheffield FC.

Premier Division: Whitby Town v Matlock Town.

n See Friday’s Grass Roots supplement, inside your Sheffield Star, for reports and round-ups from amateur football leagues all over South Yorkshire.