Meadowhall Sunday League: Brammer shines as Cup holders march on

editorial image
Have your say

League Cup holders Handsworth Turf Tavern overcame their toughest tie yet to book a place in the quarter-finals, beating Premier Division rivals High Noon 1-0 in extra-time.

High Noon went into the tie undefeated in all competitions this season so it was always going to take something special to get past a confident home side.

And it was Steve Brammer that provided the special moment just two minutes into extra-time with a superb individual goal, taking on the Noon defence before poking the ball past the advancing keeper.

In another all-Premier Division encounter, Crookes FC had a much easier passage, knocking out Sharrow United 4-0, and have now come out on top against the visitors in all three meetings this season in league and cup.

The home side were in front inside the first minute when Liam Cartledge was on hand to knock in the rebound after the Sharrow goalkeeper had parried Paul Clements effort.

Crookes doubled the lead on 13 minutes as Cartledge confidently stroked home a penalty awarded for handball. Sharrow were again caught cold at the start of the second half as Danny Flynn rifled home from 16 yards for 3-0 that effectively but the tie beyond the visitors.

Crookes lost goalkeeper Rob English shortly afterwards with a thigh injury leaving Clements to deputise in between the sticks yet agan before the hosts grabbed a fourth on 69 minutes when a Sharrow defender turned a cross into his own net.

Jack-in-a-Box made it a hat-trick of Premier sides through to the last last eight after cruising to a 11-2 win at depleted HSBC.

Dave Gelsthorpe celebrated his first start of the season after recovering from a broken ankle to score four of the goals.

Gelsthorpe’s strike partner Jordan Livett however went one better hitting five, which included a exquisite overhead kick from the edge of the area along with a superb 25-yard chip. Ross Lamkin scored his first goal for the club with Jamie Roper completing the scoring late on,

Credit though to the Bankers who never gave up and deservedly got on the scoresheet a couple of times themselves through Corey Milton and Josh Atkins.

There was just one tie that went ahead in the Tinsley Trophy First Round, which saw Premier Division struggles Mosborough A get a confidence boosting victory, although it required penalties for them to get past Brunsmeer Bradway U21’s. They prevailed 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out after the tie had ended 3-3 following extra-time.

It looked like Mosborough were on their way out when Joe Harris and a Conor Elwood free-kick helped the visitors establish a 2-0 lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

Lewis Russell pulled one back just before the interval before goals from Chris Howard and Callum Congreave saw Mosborough turn the tie on its head.

Liam Hannah’s strike levelled the scores once more but it was Mosborough that held their nerve in the penalty kicks.

There was just the one game in the Premier Division where Hackenthorpe and Hurlfield Punchbowl shared the spoils with a 1-1 draw.

Hackenthorpe got off to a great start when Harry Griffth’s headed them into an eighth minute lead. But the hosts couldn’t add to the early goal which allowed Hurlfield to snatch an equaliser with 20 minutes remaining through Lee Savage, although it wasn’t enough to lift the visitors out of the bottom two.