Martin’s brace helps Club bounce back

Point saver: Brett Bowden-Lovell, whose stoppage time equaliser gave Stocksbridge a 1-1 draw.                                                PICTURE: peter revitt
Point saver: Brett Bowden-Lovell, whose stoppage time equaliser gave Stocksbridge a 1-1 draw. PICTURE: peter revitt
Have your say

Sheffield FC came from a goal down at the BT Local Business Stadium to run out comfortable 4-1 winners over Rainworth MW to climb to third in Division One South.

Slack defending allowed Ewan Clarke to head home a cross to give the visitors a 13th minute lead with the goal coming just moments after Chris Adam had seen his effort cleared of the line at the other end.

The game swung Club’s way with two goals in five minutes just before the interval. Aaron Martin headed home a Steve Woolley cross to level the scores on 40 minutes. Then on the stroke of half-time Martin poked the ball home from close range after Jared Stephens had sidefooted towards goal from an Adam cross.

Andy Gascoigne made it 3-1 on 55 minutes following a mazy run with Shaq McKenzie adding the fourth in stoppage time, latching onto a long ball and going past his marker to drill home a shot in off the post.

Just 24 hours after sacking manager Chris Willcock, Stocksbridge’s newly appointed management team got their regime underway with a battling 1-1 draw at fellow strugglers Matlock Town.

Steels parted company with Willcock following a poor start to the season that had seen the Bracken Moor club pick up just two points from the first 24, which had left them at the foot of the Premier Division table.

Stocksbridge moved swiftly to appoint Willcock’s assistant Darren Schofield as manager on a permanent basis with skipper and long serving defender Brett Bowden-Lovell being named player-assistant manager.

And it was Bowden-Lovell who rescued a point for Stocksbridge, powering home a header from a corner deep into stoppage time.

It was no more than Stocksbridge deserved after a gritty performance against a Matlock side that led through a contentious penalty on the hour, while Steels also felt that they were denied an equaliser not long afterwards.

The breakthrough came when Ben Turner was harshly adjudged to have handled a Kaye Richards cross in the area that saw Lee McMahon convert the resulting spot kick.

With 16 minutes remaining Steels thought they had levelled. Gladiators defender James Lukic appeared to divert a Scott Hogan’s ball across the box into his own net and although Jon Kennedy scooped the ball away Steels claimed the ball had already crossed the line, so will feel justice was done with the late leveller.

Frickley Athletic pulled off a surprise 3-1 FA Cup victory at 10-man Chorley to reach the third qualifying round.

The hosts played for an hour with 10-men after seeing Tom Ince sent-off on the half hour mark. Frickley made the most of their numerical advantage to take a 2-0 lead into the break courtesy of two Gavin Allott penalties, both awarded for handball.

Lee Stratford’s own-goal on 57 minutes gave Chorley hope but Frickley sealed the tie when Allott headed home on 66 minutes to complete his hat-trick.

Buxton are also through after coming from behind to beat Division One South Stamford 3-1 away.

Jake Gibson gave the home side a 14th minute lead which was cancelled out on the stroke of half-time by a Lee Morris equaliser. Mark Reed headed Buxton in front on 78 minutes with Morris grabbing his second and the visitors third five minutes later.

TUESDAY - Division One South: Sheffield FC v Mickleover Sports.