It’s all right Jack as Steels end drought

Jack Muldoon
Jack Muldoon
Have your say

A first half Jack Muldoon goal gave Stocksbridge Park Steels a 1-0 victory and three priceless points at play-off chasing Northwich Victoria.

It was Gary Marrow’s side’s first league win in seven games, having not won since beating Northwich 3-0 at Bracken Moor last month.

With Kevin Davies and skipper Brett Lovell both suspended Marrow brought in former Huddersfield Town defender Tony Lloyd.

Chris Hall, on his return for a second loan spell from Alfreton, fired just over the barbefore Muldoon shot against the post on nine minutes

Steels grabbed the lead on 24 minutes when the Northwich defence failed to deal with a Hall cross leaving Muldoon with a simple close range chance. Mark Ward saw his shot pushed onto the crossbar by the Vics keeper James Spencer as Steels looked for a second. Northwich pressed for an equaliser late on with Lloyd being forced to clear off the line, while Scott made a brilliant save to keep out a header in the denying minutes as Stocksbridge pulled three points clear of the drop zone.

Frickley Athletic dropped back into the bottom four after crashing 4-0 at second-placed Colwyn Bay, having trailed 3-0 at the break to goals by Danny Grannon, Fraser McLachlan and Alex Titchiner. Rob Hopley hit the fourth.

Worksop Town rekindled their play-off hopes by beating Mickleover Sports - a second 1-0 victory in three days.

It was a double boost for the Tigers following the news of their impending return to Worksop after three years in exile.

It comes after Sheffield Parramore Sports owner and Windsor Food Services Chief Executive Peter Whitehead became the new owner of Sandy Lane after exchanging contracts with former owner of Howard Raymond and had invited Worksop back to the ground for next season.

Luke Beckett hit winner after 15 minutes from close range, though the on-loan striker almost grabbed a second just before the break smashing a fierce shot against the underside of the crossbar

Relegation doomed Retford United pulled off a shock 2-1 home win over Kendal Town, only their second home win with a double from Jordan Turner after 29 and 60 minutes. Shaun Gray pulled once back 14 minutes from time.

Matlock Town slipped to a third defeat on the trot going down 3-1 at play-off rivals Bradford Park Avenue. Ross Hannah got the Gladiators off to a great start with a goal after just three minutes but it all went pear shaped as Bradford hit back to level six minutes later through Tom Greaves. Avenue then took the lead on 21 minute through a Rob O’Brien penalty.

Matlock’s prolific striker Hannah twice went close to levelling either side of the interval before the visitors’ fate was sealed on the hour as O’Brien slotted home Bradford’s second penalty.

Buxton had to be content with a point from a 2-2 draw at the Silverlands against promotion rivals FC United of Manchester after the visitors hit back from two goals down to snatch last gasp equaliser.

Kieran Lugsden netted from close range to give the Bucks a third minute lead. Lugsden looked to have given Buxton three precious points when he pounced on a rebound from a Dave Chadwick header to give the home side a 2-0 lead on 54 minutes. But United pulled one back through Mike Norton on 65 minutes after a corner had only been half cleared. Norton then grabbed the equaliser deep into time added on with a shot on the turn from 18-yards.

In Division One South, Sheffield FC pulled off a victory from the jaws of defeat with two goals inside the last minutes turning a 3-2 deficit into a 4-3 win against Leek Town at Dronfield.

Dan Cope gave the visitors a 14th minute lead. Sheffield hit back three minutes later with Ant Lynam sweeping the ball home after being set-up by James Gregory. It took just two minutes more for Club to take the lead, Gregory in the right place to convert a Paul Smith cross. With 14 minutes remaining

Leek drew level through a Anthony Malbon header and looked to have won it when Cope hit his second of the game with 10 minutes left on the clock. But in a dramatic finale Andy Gascoigne scored two quick-fire goals to turn the game around, heading in to make it 3-3 on 89 minutes before firing through a crowded box a minute later for the winner.

Alfreton Town’s Blue Square North title hopes took a knock with a 2-1 defeat at Droylsden where the Reds have never won in the league

TUESDAY - Premier Div: Buxton v Ashton United, Frickley Athletic v Bradford Park Avenue, North Ferriby United v Matlock Town, Ossett Town v Worksop Town. Div One South: Rushall Olympic v Sheffield FC.

WEDNESDAY - Premier Div: Mickloever Sports v Stocksbridge Park Steels.

THURSDAY - Premier Div: Worksop Town v Northwich Victoria.

FRIDAY - Div One South: Stamford v Sheffield FC.