Howe about that as Legends storm back

Simon Howe holds off a challenge in the Stocksbridge Legends match. BYLINE PETER REVITT
Simon Howe holds off a challenge in the Stocksbridge Legends match. BYLINE PETER REVITT
Have your say

A Stocksbridge Park Steels Legends team came from two goals down to force a 4-4 draw against a rather more youthful Stocksbridge X1 side at Bracken Moor, but the real winners were the Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

The game was arranged by Stocksbridge supporters club to mark the 25th anniversary of the amalgamation of Stocksbridge Works and Oxley Park Sports to become Stocksbridge Park Steels.

The game which raised over £500 for the hospital.

Former Steels boss Mick Horne and his assistant Trevor Gough, who were in charge from 1991 through to 2002 guiding the club to promotion to the then UniBond League, returned to the dugout to take charge in a reunion of the successful squad from the 90s, including former stalwarts goalkeeper Andy Carney, defenders Simon Marples and Craig Chadburn along with Kevin Ronan and striker Trevor Jones.

Simon Howe rolled back the years to put the Legends 1-0 up with a fine strike from outside the area but Adam Todd neatly chipped Andy Carney to level just before the break.

Todd fired into the roof of the net at the back post to give the Stocksbridge X1 a 2-1 lead on 52 minutes but substitute Mickey Stewart scored another good goal when he curled a beauty into the top corner from 22 yards. However, Todd was enjoying his day at Bracken Moor as the Stocksbridge X1 striker rounded substitute keeper Steve Morfitt to make it 3-2 before stretching the lead further after beating the offside trap on 72 minutes for his and the visitors fourth

The Legends began to look a little leg weary but a trip ion Simon Dwyer led to Simon Marples pulling one back from the penalty spot on 84 minutes before Howe, looking decidedly offside, tapped in the equalise with two minutes to spare from Trevor Jones square pass.

Sheffield FC beat a Sheffield Wednesday academy side 3-0. James Gregory and Danny Kirkland gave Club a 2-0 halftime lead. Connor Higginson sealed the victory after the break neatly stroking the ball home after evading two challenges on the edge of the box.

Stocksbridge Park Steels suffered a 3-0 defeat at Hall Road Rangers, while Hallam were beaten 1-0 at Cleethorpes Town where Luke Mascall hit the winner 20 minutes from time.

Handsworth went down 4-1 at home to Baris Premier Division outfit Long Eaton Eaton, while Maltby Main conceded four without reply in their latest warm-up game at Garforth Town.

AFC Emley went down 3-1 at Brighouse Town. Gavin Armitage 21st minute equaliser coming just three minutes after Antony Brown had given the home side the lead but second half strikes from Steve Hollingwood and Daniel Hull condemned Emley to their first pre-season defeat in four outings. Staveley Miners Welfare lost out 2-0 at Evo-Stik South side Carton Town.