Handsworth’s six-goal romp

Alex Revill is congratulated on his goal for NCE League new boys Penistone Church
Alex Revill is congratulated on his goal for NCE League new boys Penistone Church
Have your say

Much-fancied Handsworth Parramore set their stall out with a crushing 6-0 home win over Glasshoughton Welfare.

A delighted manager Russ Eagle said: “It was a very good result for us but what was most pleasing is that at three or four up you’ve got a tendency to drop off and not play but we kept playing and playing.”

Vill Powell marked his league debut nodding in the opener after 14 minutes with another debutant Nicky Travis volleying in the second to send Handsworth in at the break leading 2-0. Lee Whittington tapped in the third 10 minutes into the second period with Luke Fletcher making it 4-0 on the hour.

Whittington scored his second after being set up by Scott Bates with Ryan Johnson heading home three minutes from time to complete the scoring.

Worksop Town began life in the NCE League with a 3-2 win at Armthorpe Welfare. Andre Johnson gave a young Tigers side the boost of a fifth minute lead and although Kieran Benson levelled for the hosts inside the first minute of the second half, Conner Sellars nodded Worksop back in front on 52 minutes. Matt Booth extended the lead on 81 minutes after the home side had been reduced to ten-men with what proved to be the winner as Anthony Ryan pulled once back six minutes from time.

Parkgate were narrowly beaten 2-1 at Garforth Town. Scott Lowe’s 50th minute penalty restoring parity after the hosts had taken a first-half lead only for Town to snatch a last-gasp winner.

Two first-half goals from Anthony Mackie saw Maltby Main beat Nostell MW 2-0 at Muglet Lane.

Shaw Lane Aquaforce started life in the top flight with a 2-1 win at Tadcaster Albion. Daniel Paterson grabbing the winner 20 minutes from time after the hosts had cancelled out George Conway’s sixth minute opener.

Staveley MW were beaten 4-1 at home by fancied Bridlington Town where Matt Hassett grabbed the Miners’ late consolation goal after the visitors had taken a 4-0 lead into the break. Retford United held on for a goalless draw at Athersley Recreation despite finishing with nine-men.

Steve Toyne’s reign at Hallam started with a 2-1 defeat at Knaresborough Town but the Countrymen were unfortunate not to have come away with a point.

Graham Whitehead fired the home side into a 16th minute lead. But just after Liam Osbourne had rattled the crossbar, Hallam grabbed a deserved equaliser through a Grant Allott penalty four minutes from the interval.

Danny Flynn went close to giving the visitors the lead just after the break but Knaresborough grabbed all-three points with a stunning finish from former Leeds United man Seb Carole.

An Alvin Riley penalty on 22 minutes and a Lewis Dickinson strike just past the half hour mark saw league new boys Penistone Church get off to the best possibly start with an impressive 2-0 win over Shirebrook Town.

A last-minute goal sent Worsbrough Bridge Athletic to a 2-1 defeat at relegated Lincoln Moorlands Railway after Brad Kerr’s penalty had looked like earning the Briggers a point.

Rossington Main had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Hall Road Rangers despite Jordan Hatton firing the hosts in front four minutes before the break.

Dronfield Town lost out 3-0 at Clipstone where former Stocksbridge striker Jamie Smith scored twice, while a Max Leonard helped himself to a hat-trick as AFC Emley romped to an 8-1 win at hapless Grimsby Borough.