Handsworth Parramore beat landlords Worksop to keep them off top spot

Have your say

Handsworth Parramore took the bragging rights as the landlords came out on top beating tenants Worksop Town 3-2 at Sandy Lane.

The result prevented Tigers going top of the Premier Division with leaders Tadcaster Albion’s game postponed, while the Ambers, in third, narrowed the gap to four points on Worksop with two games in hand.

Handsworth were in front on eight minutes with a gift oal. Jordan Cooke’s back pass was woefully short allowing Kieran Wells to nip and round keeper Jon Kennedy.

The Ambers doubled the lead later as Simon Harrison steered into the bottom corner after Ben Starosta had pulled the ball back to leave Worksop with it all to do. After almost going three behind when Colin Marrison hit the woodwork, the Tigers were back in the contest as Andy Ofosu took aim from 20-yards and saw his shot take a deflection to loop over goalkeeper Archie Sneath.

Eight minutes into the second half Worksop were level. James Cottingham’s free-kick was nodded on by Julian Lawrence for Mitch Husbands to sidefoot past Sneath.

Handsworth hit the winner on 64 minutes. A corner was only partially cleared and when the ball was played back into the middle Harrison turned smartly to fire low past Kennedy.

Maltby Main came from behind three times to come away with a 3-3 draw at Pickering Town. Josh Nodder twice cancelledout the home side’s lead in the first period. The Pikes went in front for a third time midway through the second half before Steve Hopewll rescued a point for the Miners with five minutes remaining.

Parkgate are just one point outside the drop zone after slipping to a seventh straight league defeat, 4-1 at home to Athlersley Recreation.

Goals from Jack Owen and Ryan Smith had the visitors in control. Owen extended the lead and although Jake Ashton pulled one back Athersley put the result beyond doubt when Owen completed his hat-trick.

Armthorpe Welfare gained a much needed win beating Garforth Town 3-1 at home to move to within a point of safety.

Dave Buck headed in a James Walker corner to give Welfare the lead. Walker was the architect of the second, sending Stuart Preston to make it 2-0 with a clinical finish. Garforth pulled one back but Dean Conway headed in a Berevon Kurd free-kick two minutes from time to secure Armthorpe’s first league win in 11.

Staveley MW made it four wins on the spin in style beating Pontefract Collieries 6-4 away. Staveley were 5-1 up at half-time through Adam Scott, Kieran Watson and a Jamie Brown header along with a brace from Courtney Hastings to take his tally to 17.

Pontefract rallied but Watson bagged his second and the Miners sixth.

Retford United went down 2-1 at Barton Town after Jason Bradley had given the Badgers a third minute lead.

In Division One, Hallam kept their play-off push on track with a 2-1 win at promotion rivals Shirebrook Town as the Countrymen extended their unbeaten away league record to 11 games.

Jordan Turner gave Ryan Hindley’s side a 16th minute lead with a well-struck first time effort

Turner was at the heart of Hallam’s second just before the half hour mark when he was brought down inside the area as he closed in on goal. Michael Blythen stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way from the penalty.

Shirebrook pulled one but Hallam comfortably held on.

AFC Emley gained a crucial victory beating promotion rivals AFC Mansfield 5-3 on their own patch.

It was no surprise that Ashley Flynn was amongst the goals once more scoring hat-trick to take his tally to 49. Added to efforts from Alex Hallam and Jordan Corduri.