Handsworth need point for title despite setback

editorial image
Have your say

Hallam ended their travels with their ninth away league win, completing a double over Grimsby Borough with a 2-1 win to follow up their 4-2 home success.

Sam Eckhardt gave Hallam an early lead curling a fine effort into the bottom corner and although Andy Taylor levelled.

But Hallam grabbed the winner on 70 minutes. Tom Carnall fed Eckhardt, who turned smartly to hit a shot that went in off the underside of the bar for his sixth goal since stepping up from the Under-19s at the beginning of the year.

Dinnington Town had to be content with a 3-3 draw at Yorkshire Amateur. Matt Smith and James Roper put Town 2-1 up on after the hosts had taken a 16th minute lead.

The Ammers hit back to level midway through the second half but Smith looked to have won it for Dinnington with his second of the game making it 3-2 on 85 minutes only for the home side to level two minutes later

Handsworth will go to Worksop Parramore next Saturday requiring a point to clinch the title despite a 1-0 home defeat against Glasshoughton Welfare after Josh Corbett struck in the 90th minute.

Second-placed Parramore could have gone top but they blew the opportunity going down 3-0 at home against Pontefract Collieries. Parramore almost pulled one back minutes later but Paul Staniforth 30 yard free-kick hit the crossbar.

Darren Bland’s men must now take all-three points against Handsworth if they are to pip their neighbours to the Division One title.

Rossington Main look sure to miss out on a top six finish after a 1-0 defeat at Eccleshill United.

Parkgate went down 2-1 at home to a resurgent Arnold Town. Ryan Whitehurst gave the visitors a 15th minute lead before Luke Smithson doubled the advantage 11 minutes later after finding himself in acres of space.

The Steelmen looked to get back in the game after the break and were unlucky not to pull one back when Ashley Worsfold rattled the crossbar in the 66th minute, However, Danny Barlow did reduce the deficit two minutes into stoppage time but it was no more than a consolation effort as Parkgate hopes of a third place finish vanished.

Maltby Main’s Premier Division status is hanging in the balance after Long Eaton United came from behind to snatch a 2-1 victory after the Miners had looked set for three priceless points.

Lee Whittington fired Maltby into a 32nd minute lead which looked like being enough to secure victory as the minutes ticked away. But a defensive mix-up allowed William Mellors-Blair an easy tap for the equaliser on 79 minutes then with almost the last kick of the game Jamie Hunter fired through a crowded box to deny the Miners even a point.


Today - Div One: Hallam v Worsbrough Bridge.

Tuesday - Premier Div: Retford Utd v Staveley MW.

Wednesday - Div One: AFC Emley v Worsbrough Bridge.

Thursday - Premier Div: Retford Utd v Thackley, Tadcaster Albion v Staveley MW.