Handshakes all round as Steels grab more points

Stocksbridge Park Steels v Chasetown....GOAL...Steels two goal hero Richard Stirrup celebrates high fives with team-mate Daryl Weston
Stocksbridge Park Steels v Chasetown....GOAL...Steels two goal hero Richard Stirrup celebrates high fives with team-mate Daryl Weston
Have your say

Two second half goals saw Stocksbridge Park Steels stretch their unbeaten home league record to nine games with a 2-0 victory over Chasetown to take another step closer to Premier Division safety.

After the Staffordshire side had missed an opening inside the first couple of minutes, Chris Willcock’s men began to get the upperhand and ought to have taken a two goal lead into the break. Scott Hogan could only stab the ball wide after Brett Lovell had headed down Richard Stirrup’s 18th minute free-kick. Then Jack Muldoon squandered a better chance five minutes later side.

Muldoon wriggled past two defenders on the edge of the box only to lash his shot over the bar. Steels were almost caught out just before the break when a defensive lapse let in Daniel Quinn but the Chasetown striker dragged his shot wide.

However, the home side took the lead nine minutes after the break, Matt Telling’s cross-field pass picking out Richard Stirrup down the inside right channel. He beat the keeper with a low drive into the far corner. Muldoon put two chances over the bar before Willcock side finally wrapped up the points with the second 15 minutes from time. Mark Whitehouse made a fine diagonal run towards the left side area before putting in a low ball that Stirrup neatly steered inside the near post for his second of the game. (Full match analysis and pictures inside Fridays Grassroots).

Sheffield FC were held to a second successive home draw in the space of five days as Newcastle Town left Dronfield with a share of the spoils in a 1-1 stalemate.

It left Club without a league win in five that all but ends their outside hopes of automatic promotion with Mark Shaw’s men in fifth and huge 17-points behind leaders Grantham Town with just 12 games of the season left.

Sheffield made a bright start with Conor Higginson having an effort cleared off the line after just two minutes whilst Jason Bradley suffered the same fate with a header, while James Knowles was only a whisker away with a shot on the turn that flashed just over the crossbar. However, it was Newcastle that broke the deadlock five minutes before the break when Harry Clayton curled a fine effort beyond Brad Mimms in the Sheffield goal.

But Shaw’s men were back on level terms four minutes after the break when Andy Gascoigne converted a penalty awarded for handball. Club pressed with Higginson having a shot pushed round the post, while Nathan Modest couldn’t make the most of a Bradley flick on blasting the ball wide of the target as the visitors held on.

Elsewhere, Frickley Athletic hit a last gasp goal against high riding Hednesford Town to earn a richly deserved point from a 1-1 draw as the Blues extended their unbeaten run to seven games.

Danny South struck on 90 minutes pouncing on a rebound after Danny Walsh’s effort had been blocked to blast the ball home. The goal coming just two minutes after South had seen his header come off the crossbar. Hednesford had gone ahead two minutes before the break through a Ben Jevons header.

Worksop slumped to a very disappointing 1-0 home defeat against relegation threatened Whitby Town. The Tigers best chances came in the first half with Massiah McDonald curling a shot wide of an unguarded net after the visitors keeper had raced out of his area to head clear, while Jamie Jackson couldn’t quite convert a teasing McDonald cross just before the break.

In poor second period Whitby grabbed the winner on 72 minutes when Kevin Burgess headed in from a corner.

A 90th minute penalty from debutant Lewis McMahon earned Matlock Town a 1-0 victory over Rushall Olympic at Causeway Lane after the visitors, who had three players sent-off in their last outing, were reduced to ten-men for the final 16 minutes., while struggling Buxton were comprehensively beaten 4-0 at the Premier Division leaders Chester.

Tuesday - Premier Division: Rushall Olympic v Worksop Town. Division One South: Lincoln United v Sheffield FC.

Wednesday - Premier Division: FC United of Manchester v Matlock Town.