Hallam win boosts their hopes of survival

Have your say

Hallam kept survival hopes alive with a 2-1 win at Lincoln Moorlands Railway while relegation rivals Arnold Town lost by the same score at Winterton Rangers.

It saw the Blues move to within three-points of the Nottinghamshire side with both teams having three games to play, and which keeps them on course for a relegation showdown when the two teams meet in the final game of the season at Eagle Valley. After the 2-1 home defeat against Selby Town 48 hours earlier, Hallam knew nothing less than maximum points would be good enough if they were to retain hope of avoiding tumbling into Division One.

And in the seventy minute, from a Matt Sykes corner Delano Stewart-Jones laid the ball off to Ben Kistell where the striker sent a fired into the roof of the net. Not for the first time the Blues conceded just before the break

With four minutes remaining. Stewart-Jones picked up a loose ball just outside the area before going past two defenders before slotting the ball wide of the advancing keeper to earn Hallam three priceless points and a first away win in almost eight months.

Parkgate romped to their biggest win of the season with a 6-0 demolition of Nostell Miners Welfare. The Steelmen had the points all but wrapped up just past the half hour mark with goals from, Danny Cardwell, Ashley Worsfold and Nathan Swindells. Danny Major put the result beyond doubt with the fourth midway through the second half before Chris Wood and Swindells with his second of the game.

Maltby Main made it three draws on the spin after a 1-1 tie with Scarborough Athletic at Muglet Lane. Adam Kennedy drafted in from the U19’s showed maturity beyond his years to lob the keeper from the angle of the 18-yard box for his first senior goal to give the Miners a 24th minute lead.

However, Maltby had to settle for a draw when Richard Dunning hit a 35-yard shot that took a wicked deflected off Mick Jones for the equaliser.

Armthorpe Welfare closed their home campaign with a 1-0 home defeat against Selby Town, their third in a row.

Bridlington Town completed a quick fire league double over relegated Dinnington Town with a 3-0 win at the Queensgate Stadium just week after a 3-1 victory at Phoenix Park.

In Division One, Handsworth made it four wins in a row and nine games unbeaten in all competitions with a 4-3 victory at Grimsby Borough as Russ Eagle’s side climbed to fourth spot. Scott Bates gave Handsworth the lead and although Andy Taylor levelled eight minutes later and Alex Torr double had the visitors 3-1 up on the hour mark. Freddie Cass put Grimsby back in the game on 70 minutes but Dave Cockerill restored Handsworth’s two-goal cushion five minutes later. Matt Oswin pulled one back from the penalty spot 10 minutes from, time but Handsworth held on for a deserved win.

TUESDAY: League Cup Semi-Final: Farsley AFC v Handsworth.

Premier Division: Brighouse Town v Hallam. Division One: Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Pontefract Collieries.