Hallam stretch unbeaten away run to 12 matches

editorial image
Have your say

Hallam extended their unbeaten away run to 12 games in league and cup and recorded their seventh clean sheet with an excellent 2-0 win at Knaresborough Town.

Manager Ryan Hindley handed debuts to experienced midfielder James Knowles and striker Ashley Longstaff. And it was the latter who broke the deadlock six minutes into the second half . Danny Cardwell launching a long throw into the box that saw Longstaff score with a flicked header.

Jack Dennison pulled off a string of fine saves as the Countrymen came under pressure and when the keeper was beaten Max Pemberton came to the rescue clearing off the line.

With eight minutes remaining Hallam gabbed the second, Jordan Turner finding sub Simon Mirfin on the edge of the box to score into the bottom corner.

Handsworth Parramore responded to the home defeat against Premier leaders Tadcaster Albion to win 2-0 at Armthorpe Welfare to go third in the table.

Only some excellent saves from Welfare goalkeepr Leigh Overton kept the Ambers at bay in the first half.

However, it took just a minute of the second period for Peter Duffield’s side to make the breakthrough as Jon Froggatt got on the end of a Billy Wright cross to head Handsworth in front.

And it was Froggat that wrapped up the pointd 10 minutes from time converting a Simon Harrison corner.

Worksop Town had to settle for a 1-1 draw against promotion rivals Cleethorpes Town.

It cost the Tigers top spot in the Premier Division as Tadcaster Albion moved top with a 4-0 home win over Thackley.

Mark Shaw’s side edged in front on 20 minutes, Kyle Jordan hitting a sweet first time volley from just inside the box from a Phil Roe cross.

Jordan was unlucky not to score his and Worksop’s second five minutes into the second half when his glancing header was cleared.

Tigers were pegged back five minutes later as Liam Dickens let fly from 25-yards that saw the ball finish in the bottom corner of the net.

Both sides could have won it. Roe forced a fine save out of the keeper then Kennedy did even better making a brilliant save palming away Dickens close range effort in the last minute.

Parkgate slipped to a fifth straight league defeat losing 3-1 at home against Clipstone.

Jake Ashton had given the Steelmen a second minute lead only for it to be cancelled out by a Alex Denton equaliser on half-time before Denton struck twice more after the break.

Maltby Main were made to settle for 2-2 draw at Barton Town OB. Two goals from Josh Nodder, including a penalty, had Miners 2-0 up but Barton hit back with two goals after the break with the equaliser coming four minutes from time.

Staveley MW eased to a 4-0 win at Athlersley Recreation to make it just one defeat in the last six.

Steve Carty’s 16th minute strike separated the teams at the interval. Kieran Watson doubled the lead within a minute of the restart. Carty with his second wrapped up the points with Adam Scott adding a late fourth.

Promotion chasing Penistone Church fought back from from 3-1 down at Division One leaders Hemsworth MW to earn a creditable 3-3 draw with goals by Danny Joynes 2, and Oliver Fearon.#

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic slumped to a third successive heavy away defeat going down 9-0 at title hopefuls AFC Mansfield.