Hadfield header takes Club back from the brink

SheffieldFC.........Steve Woolley
SheffieldFC.........Steve Woolley
Have your say

Sheffield FC staged a late fight-back against Hucknall Town to salvage a point in a 3-3 draw at Dronfield and extend their unbeaten run to six games in all competitions.

Alex Ford gave the visitors a 43rd minute lead tapping in from close range. Andy Gascoigne headed against the post moments later then Steve Woolley also struck the woodwork before Town doubled the advantage on 57 minute with Ford’s second of the game.

Club pulled one back four minutes later through an Aaron Martin glancing header only for Hucknall to restore their two goal cushion on 68 minutes when Julian Topliss volleyed in to make it 3-1.

Sheffield though produced a barnstorming finish. Firstly Woolley reduced the arrears from the penalty spot on 89 minutes then in stoppage time Jamie Hadfield headed in a dramatic equaliser to earn a point.

Stocksbridge Park Steels dropped back into the Premier Division’s bottom two following a 1-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Ilkeston FC.

Substitute Dereece Gardner grabbed the only goal of the game on 69 minutes just eight minutes after coming off the bench. The former Aston Villa trainee found space in a crowded area to drill a low shot out of the reach of Ben Scott, who was making his debut after returning for a third spell with the club. Steels best chance fell to Nicky Darker but he placed his header wide from Janni Lipka’s cross, while Brett Bowden-Lovell warmed the hands of the home keeper with a 30-yard free-kick Worksop Town striker Tom Denton celebrated agreeing a two-month loan extension from Alfreton Town by scoring all three goals in the Tigers 3-2 victory at second-placed Marine that sent the home side down to a first league defeat of the season.

Nick Rogan gave Marine a 26h minute lead knocking in the rebound after keeper Paul Bastock had made a fine save. The Tigers hit back to level in first half stoppage time with Denton firing in from close range from Craig King’s pull-back. Three minutes into the second half and Denton grabbed his and Worksop’s second with King again the provider crossing for the big striker to nod home.

Denton completed his hat-trick with another header on 67 minutes to put Worksop 3-1 up and although the Merseysiders pulled one back through a Liam Dawson header two minute later the Tigers hung on for a fourth away win on the spin.

Frickley Athletic moved off the bottom of the table after coming from a goal down to beat Stafford Rangers 2-1 at Westfield Lane. Rangers took a 23rd minute lead through Daniel Quinn but Luke Hinsley equalised from close range on 42 minutes with Gavin Allott scoring with a well taken goal on 54 minutes to earn the spoils.

Tyeisse Nightingale returned to Matlock Town to haunt his former club scoring the only goal of the game four minutes before the break to give visitors Eastwood Town a 1-0 victory. The Gladiators will be disappointed not to have taken a point from the game with Adam Yates, Massiah McDonald and Lewis McMahon missing the target with decent chances.

First half goals from goalkeeper Ian Deakin, whose long kick bounced over his embarrassed opposite number Conor Grant, and a Mark Reed header gave Buxton a 2-0 win over managerless Blyth Spartans at the Silverlands, to stretch their unbeaten run to six games in all competitions.