Grannon double denies Steels maximum points

Hands off: Stocksbridge's Jordan Thewlis battles for the ball with Paul Jones in the 2 -2 home draw against Marine.            PICTURE: ian anderson
Hands off: Stocksbridge's Jordan Thewlis battles for the ball with Paul Jones in the 2 -2 home draw against Marine. PICTURE: ian anderson
Have your say

Stocksbridge stretched their unbeaten run to four games in league and cup with a 2-2 draw against high-riding Marine at misty Bracken Moor.

The visitors had the better of the chances in a goalless first half before the game sparked in a lively second period in which Steels overturned a 1-0 deficit to lead 2-1 only to be pegged back six minutes from time but the draw was about a fair result.

Steels goalkeeper Xavier Parisi kept Marine at bay with three excellent saves in the first half, while Stocksbridge’s best effort came from Ben Turner with a shot that went just wide and Danny South with a header that went just over the angle upright.

Darren Schofield’s men made a bright start to the second half but it was the visitors that made the breakthrough on 54 minutes, central defender Danny Grannon turning in a free-kick from 12 yards.

But Steels hit back with two goals in nine minutes to turn the game on its head. Alex Callery rifled home low into the corner from the edge of the box after a free-kick had only been half cleared to put the home side level on 64 minutes.

It was Ryan McMahon in the Marine goal’s turn to come to his sides rescue with two brilliant saves to deny Matt Hamshaw and substitute Spencer Goff as Stocksbridge pressed. And they got their just rewards on 75 minutes when Will Senior nodded in from close range to put the host 2-1 up.

Steels though were denied the victory that would have taken them out of the bottom two when Grannon knocked in a rebound off the crossbar to grab a share of the spoils.

Frickley Athletic remain pointless on the road after slipping to a ninth successive away defeat losing 2-1 at Grantham Town.

The home side took the lead on three minutes when Paul Grimes was brought down in the area before picking himself up to convert the resulting penalty. Grimes scored his and Grantham’s second just six minutes later after cutting inside to score with a shot into the opposite far corner.

Frickley pulled one back just before the hour when Chris Howarth struck an unstoppable shot that had the keeper beaten all ends up. The Blues thought they had gained a first away point of the season five minutes from time only for the goal to be ruled out by the assistants referee’s flag.

Sheffield FC’s Division One home clash against Market Drayton Town was postponed with the Dronfield pitch waterlogged.

In the FA Trophy, Worksop Town were disappointingly dumped out 1-0 at home by Evo-Stik League One side Kings Lynn Town at Sandy Lane.

The visitors hit the woodwork three times before deservedly grabbing the winner three minutes from time through a Russ Dunkley strike.

Matlock Town held Blues Square Premier side to a 1-1 draw on their own patch. Lewis McMahon making up for his earlier penalty miss to equalise seven minutes before the break and earn a replay at Causeway Lane on Tuesday.

Buxton too must try again after a magnificent effort to come away from Conference Premier leaders Grimsby Town with a goalless draw.

TUESDAY - Doodson Sport League Cup First Round: Sheffield FC v Garforth Town.

FRIDAY - Premier Division: Frickley Athletic v Worksop Town.

See Friday’s Grassroots for a picture special on the Stocksbridge v Marine clash.