Graham gets Club’s hopes back on track

editorial image
Have your say

After taking just one point from the last three league games, Sheffield FC got their promotion push back on track with a 4-3 win at Loughborough Dynamo to move up to third in Division One South.

All the goals came in an exciting second half that saw Mark Shaw’s men take the lead only to find themselves 3-1 down before hitting back to score three times in a 12 minute spell.

Solid defending kept Club out until the 48th minute when Matt Roney deservedly put them ahead. Sheffield’s lead last six minutes as Jamie Clark headed the hosts back on level terms. Sam MacVicar fired Loughborough in front with Jake Ball-Brown extending the lead.

But Callum Harrison’s excellent strike immediately put Sheffield back in the game with Dan Williams equalising. The comeback was complete two minutes later as David Graham coolly slotted home under pressure from a defender.

A mixture of dogged defending and good fortune saw relegation threatened Stocksbridge Park Steels earn a priceless 0-0 draw at Premier Division promotion chasers Chorley.

Dale Whitham headed against the bar inside the first five minutes which set the tone for the first half with Tom Ince also rattling the woodwork as Steels took a battering. Stocksbridge looked more solid after the break and although Chorley hit the woodwork for a third time Steels could well have snatched it with Jack Muldoon denied by goalkeeper Russ Saunders’ alertness as the striker looked to be in on goal, while Brian Cusworth volleyed another chance over.

Worksop Town stretched their unbeaten run under boss Simon Cark to 10-games but saw two-points slip away at Matlock Town as the hosts snatched a last gasp equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw. The Tigers broke the deadlock on 55 minutes when former Matlock player Jamie Jackson smashed home from a tight angle after ex-Tigers keeper John Kennedy had saved from Burbeary.

Matlock pressed hard but it looked to have eluded them until deep into stoppage time when Micky Harcourt headed the equaliser from a Chris Bettney corner.

Frickley Athletic came from a goal down at home to beat Kendal Town 2-1. Shaun Gray headed in from a corner to give the Cumbrian’s a ninth minute lead. But their joy was short lived when two minutes later Ollie Brown was brought down in the area and James Ashmore converted the spot-kick. The winner arrived nine minutes into the second half with a delightful goal from experienced striker Peter Knox, a precision 22-yard lob over the keeper as Frickley extended their unbeaten league run to four games.

Buxton remain in the bottom four after a 3-1 home defeat against Hednesford Town left them without a win in the last seven. Two goals in six minutes midway through the first half from Darren Campion and Nick Wellecomme had Hednesford in control.

Buxton were given hope on 61 minutes when they pulled one back through a Neil Stevens diving header only for Chris Clements to restore the visitors two goal cushion a minute later.

Tuesday - Doodson Sport League Cup Second Round: Belper Town v Worksop Town, Brigg Town v Buxton, Frickley Athletic v Garforth Town, Stocksbridge Park Steels v Bradford Park Avenue. Division One South: Sheffield FC v Kidsgrove Athletic.

Wednesday - Sheffield Senior Cup Second Round: Worksop Town v Kirkby Colliery.