Goal-shy Steels continue barren run, Club’s fightback isn’t enough

Stocksbridge's star striker Lee Garside
Stocksbridge's star striker Lee Garside
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels failed to score for the third game in a row as high riding Spalding United beat them 2-0, stretching Steels’ winless run to seven games.

Lewis Webb gave the Tulips a 27th minute lead when his cross dropped under the crossbar. And the visitors quickly doubled their lead as Jamie Thurlbourne drilled home. Stocksbridge huffed and puffed but never really looked like retrieving anything from the game as Spalding eased to a fourth win on the spin.

Sheffield FC slipped to a fifth successive away league defeat, losing 3-2 at Norton United despite a spirited comeback

Club trailed 3-0 midway through the second half before two goals in quick succession raised hopes of a first away point since beating Carlton Town in early October.

Norton took the lead against the run of play on 22 minutes when Max Pemberton sliced a clearance at a corner into his own net. Nine minutes later Club found themselves 2-0 down when, from another corner, Chris Baker rifled home through a crowded box after the ball had only been half cleared.

It looked all over when Kyle Diskin sprang the offside trap to score Norton’s third on 69 minutes. However, substitute Matt Roney came off the bench to spark a revival, firstly crossing for Ashley Longstaff to nod in from close range on 75 minutes. A couple of minutes later Longstaff returned the favour, sending Roney clear for the veteran to coolly slot under the keeper.

Joe Green made a fine save to deny the hosts a fourth, while Roney almost snatched an equaliser in time added on after getting in on goal but his effort was kept out by the keeper’s outstretched foot.

Frickley Athletic eased to a 4-0 home win over next to bottom Trafford as Karl Rose’s side pulled six points clear of the drop zone. Three goals inside the first 22 minutes from Jack Broadhead, Max Leonard and Luke Hinsley put the Blues in control.

And Gavin Allott put the gloss on a polished performance with the fourth midway through the second half.

Buxton got their promotion hopes back on track with a first league win in six, beating Stourbridge 4-1 at the Silverlands. Shaun Tuton opened the scoring on 35 minutes with Liam Hardy extending the lead just before half-time. Hardy added his second before Laurie Wilson capped the victory.