Gascoigne magic helps Sheffield FC extend run

No 8 Andy Gascoigne scores for Sheffield
No 8 Andy Gascoigne scores for Sheffield
Have your say

Goals either side of the interval from Joel Purkiss and Andy Gascoigne saw Sheffield ease to a 2-0 win over Kidsgrove Athletic at soggy Dronfield to extended their unbeaten run to five games.

Purkiss nodded in Club in front on 37 minutes after the Kidsgrove keeper Danny Read had flapped at a James Gregory cross.

The second, four minutes into the second half, followed a fine piece of individual skill from Gascoigne. The attacking midfielder picked up the ball on the edge of the area jinked his way past a couple of defenders to score with a low drive beating the keeper to his right.

Sheffield might have won by a bigger margin. Zeph Thomas headed a great chance over on the half hour mark after a great run and cross from the lively Gregory, a long-range Stuart Ludlam effort had Read stretching to push the ball away, then Thomas almost grabbed a late third but saw his header bounce off the bar.

Kidsgrove had little to offer but hit the woodwork in a little spell of pressure following Sheffield’s second.

Boss Ian Whitehorne, pleased with his teams’ workmanlike performance in tricky conditions underfoot said: “We went about our business, we scored two well worked goals, and we’ve defended really well.

If it had been three or four I don’t think they would have complained too much.”

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ search for a first away win goes on after a 3-0 defeat at Marine left them with just two points to show from seven away trips.

Tony Rendell gave the hosts a fifth minute lead following a goalmouth scramble with substitute Josh Summer following up to score the second on 23 minutes after Jack Ward had made a fine save.

Steels had to reorganise at the break with defender Nick Swirad going off with an injury that could rule him out for a month. Boss Darren Schofield sent on striker Alex Denton to give his side more attacking impetus. But the bold move didn’t pay off as Will Jones added Marine’s third 12 minutes from time shortly after Stocksbridge’s Will Senior had been sent off for a second yellow card.

Frickley Athletic went down to a 1-0 defeat at Ilkeston where Aaron Webster hit the winner with a penalty 10 minutes from time after missing an earlier spot kick.

Two early first half goals from Lee Morris gave Buxton a 2-0 win against Nantwich Town at the Silverlands. Matlock Town climbed to fourth after beating Stafford Rangers 3-1 away after the home side had taken a first minute lead. Daryl Thomas equalised with a penalty with Lavell White sealing the points with two goals in two minutes early in the second half.

Worksop Town crashed out of the FA Cup, beaten 4-0 at Skrill North side Solihull Moors in a scoreline that flattered the home side. Moors goalkeeper was named man-of-the-match which perhaps says it all after the shot-stopper pulled off a string of fine save to keep out the Tigers’ lively attack.