FOOTBALL: Veteran foils Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels Jordan Thewliss against Worksop Town
Stocksbridge Park Steels Jordan Thewliss against Worksop Town
Have your say

STOCKSBRIDGE Park Steels slipped to a seventh home defeat as play-off chasing Worksop Town edged to a 2-1 win.

But the Tigers had veteran goalkeeper Paul Bastock to thank for their victory, with the shot-stopper pulling off some excellent saves after Steels had fought back from being two goals down. Worksop took the lead on 18 minutes when Steels defender Nicky Swirad stuck out a boot to hook a hopeful cross over keeper Xavier Parisi into his own net.

Two minutes later, Ashley Burbeary curled a fine effort back across the keeper from a Matt Telling cross.

Stocksbridge pulled one back on 60 minutes, Lee Ridley’s trip on Jordan Thewlis near the bye-line giving Steels a penalty from which Matt Hamshaw sent the keeper the wrong way. Bastock then denied Andy Ring with a fingertip save before blocking with his legs from Chris Bettney, then when the keeper was beaten by Thewlis crossbar came to the rescue. With three minutes left Brett Bowden-Lovell looked sure to score with a header from Adam Todd’s cross only for Bastock to pull off another wonderful save to keep the lead intact.

Sheffield FC went down to a 4-1 defeat at Loughborough Dynamo after Shaq McKenzie had given Club a 16th minute lead.

It saw the Leicestershire side complete a league double over Curtis Woodhouse’s side following a 2-1 win in August.

And just to compound the misery, Andy Gascoigne was red carded along with Loughborough’s Jake Betts following a melee.

Sheffield looked on course for a second successive away win when Gascoigne set up McKenzie to slot under the keeper. McKenzie might well have double the lead only to fire straight at the keeper. But Club were pegged back on the half hour mark, Dan Henton beating Liam Flynn with a driven shot from the edge of the area. Six minutes later the hosts had turned it around when Rob Norris pounced after a corner had been knocked back into the middle.

Sheffield fell further being eight minutes after the break, Loughborough were awarded a penalty following a trip by Lee Featherstone and although Flynn made a fine save from Norris it was Dom Brennan that reacted quickest to tuck away the rebound.

It came as little surprise when Dynamo added a fourth inside the last five minutes through a Betts header.

Elsewhere, ten-man Matlock Town slipped to a 3-2 home defeat against Stafford Rangers.

Buxton extended their unbeaten away run to five games with a 4-2 victory at promotion chasing Witton Albion. Lee Morris was the hero with a hat-trick after Sam Duncum had given the visitors a lead.