FOOTBALL: Super-sub seals point for plucky Steels

Steels Danny South (right) challenges for the ball vs Marine
Steels Danny South (right) challenges for the ball vs Marine
Have your say

Nine-man Stocksbridge Park Steels came from behind to earn a valuable point from a 1-1 draw at high-riding Chorley.

Steels best chance in an even first half came from Richard Haigh but the defender couldn’t keep his shot down as the ball sailed just over the crossbar.

Chorley broke the deadlock on 51 minutes when Dale Whitham steered past Xavier Parisi, which was immediately followed by the dismissal of Will Senior for dissent.

But the ten-men hit back to equalise through substitute Danny South who neatly chipped the Chorley keeper from 22-yards.

With three minutes remaining substitute Jeremy Mitchell made it a debut to forget when he became the second Stocksbridge player to be sent off along with Chorley’s Jamie Vermiglio following a melee.

Frickley Athletic moved five points clear of the Premier Division drop zone after a surprise 2-1 win over second-placed Hednesford Town at Westfield Lane.

Luke Hinlsey gave the Blues a 29th minute lead.

There was also a touch of good fortune about Hednesford’s equaliser seven minutes before the break, Elliott Durrell’s free-kick into the box deceiving keeper Tom Woodhead to drop under the crossbar. The winner arrived 10 minutes from time with a fine effort from Gavin Allott into the bottom corner from the edge of the box after cutting inside.

Worksop Town climbed up to sixth following a convincing 5-1 home win over play-off rivals Ashton United. The Tigers were helped by the 37th minute dismissal of Ashton’s Danny Caldecott for a foul on Leon Mettam inside the area. Ashley Burbeary inflicted further punishment by converting the resultant penalty.

The ten-men levelled through Matt Burns 11 minutes after the break but Worksop regained their lead on 68 minutes when Mettam headed home. Luke Shiels nodded in a free kick to extend the lead four minutes later with Lee Beeson quickly adding a fourth knocking in a rebound. Steve Towers swept home the fifth on 90 minutes from a Ryan Clark cross to complete the scoring as the visitors missed a stoppage time penalty.

Buxton beat leaders North Ferriby United 2-0 at the Silverlands. Neil Stevens gave the Bucks a 51st minute lead from 18-yards with Mark Reed sealing the points seven minutes from time after the keeper had fumbled a free-kick.

Matlock Town put up brave resistance before finally bowing out of the FA Trophy 2-1 at home against Blue Square Premier Luton Town, where Jon Shaw stabbed home the winner a minute from time.

Simon Ainge headed the Hatters into a 16th minute lead but Lewis McMahon’s 61st minute penalty had looked like earning the Gladiators a replay.

Sheffield FC’s home game against Lincoln United was postponed.

TUESDAY - Doodson Sport League Cup First Round: Garforth Town v Sheffield FC.