FOOTBALL: Sheffield go fifth through Weir and Woolley

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC climbed up to fifth in Division One South after a hard-earned 2-0 home win over Kings Lynn Town.

The visitors hit the woodwork twice in the opening stages, while Jared Stephens did likewise for Club with an overhead kick.

Sheffield made the breakthrough on 34 minutes with Charlie Weir stealing in to head home at the far post from a corner.

After the Linnets had made a good start to the second Vill Powell that went close to doubling Clubs lead forcing the visitors keeper into a good save.

With 13 minutes left Sheffield got the second when a challenge on Powell by defender Ryan Fryatt in the area resulted in a penalty which Woolley confidently put away.

Stocksbrisdge Park Steels were denied a first win of the season as Worksop Town came from behind to score twice in the last four minutes to snatch a 2-1 victory.

The home side had the chance to take the lead on 12 minutes when Harry Bockarie brought down Leon Mettam in the area only for Mettam to put the penalty over the bar.

Steels’ Michael Fish forced Paul Bastock into an excellent save with a first time volley.

Stocksbridge though finally made the breakthrough on 78 minutes when Laurence Hunter slotted home a loose ball in the area following a free-kick.

But it all went pear shaped as Mettam made up for his earlier penalty gaffe by firing Worksop back on level terms on 86 minutes.

Two minutes later the Tigers won a second penalty which this time Lee Beeson converted for the winner.

Frickley Athletic picked up their first point of the season as they ended visitors Ashton United’s 100% league record in a 1-1 draw.

Matt Barlow with a well taken goal gave Ashton the lead on the stroke of half-time but Frickley grabbed a deserved share of the spoils with an equaliser on 71 minutes, Inderjeet Aujla’s 25 yard effort finding the net through a crowd of players.

Matlock Town slipped to a fourth defeat in five games losing 1-0 at Stafford Rangers, Simon Everall heading the decisive goal on 32 minutes.

Buxton came from two-nil at the Silverlands to snatch a 2-2 draw through Kieran Lugsden and a Kyle Nix penalty 19 minutes from time.

TUESDAY - Premier Division: Marin v Buxton, Matlock Town v Frickley Athletic, North Ferriby United v Worksop Town, Stocksbridge Park Steels v Blyth Spartans

FA CUP Preliminary Round: Sheffield FC v Abbey Hey.

FRIDAY - FA Cup First Qualifying Round: Worksop Town v Frickley Athletic.