FOOTBALL: Club pay for a host of missed chances

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC slipped to a second successive home defeat as Brigg Town came from a goal down to score twice inside the last 10 minutes to win 2-1, which left Club rueing a hatful of missed chances.

Miles Fenty in the Brigg goal made two fine saves in quick succession to deny James Knowles then a splendid one-handed stop to keep out a Jamie Hadfield header, while Chris Adam volleyed another opening over.

Then in a goalmouth scramble just before the break both Lee Featherstone and Knowles had efforts blocked.

Sheffield, though, spurned their best chance just after the break. Vill Powell was brought down in the area but from the resultant spot-kick Steve Woolley could only watch as Fenty palmed his effort away.

After Powell missed another opening Club finally broke the deadlock on 66 minutes with a superb lofted effort over the keeper from Shaq McKenzie.

McKenzie then had another effort cleared off the line before Brigg fired a warning shot when Josh Davies rattled the post direct from a free-kick.

With six minutes remaining Sheffield were suddenly pegged back. A moment of hesitancy in defence allowed Adam Lee to get clear and steer a shot past Liam Flynn.

Worse was to come when Brigg snatched the winner with a minute left on the clock after the unfortunate Featherstone tripped over the ball and when it found its way to James Walker he had the easy task to steer home from close range.

Stocksbridge Park Steels slipped to a not unexpected defeat at second-placed Marine, losing out 2-1 to remain in the Premier Division drop zone.

Steels fell behind after just six minutes but it was a gift of a goal from the visitors’ point a view as debutant goalkeeper Xavier Parisi, signed from Prescott Cables, let slip Shaun Dowling’s curling effort through his fingers.

However, the keeper made amends, making several fine saves to deny the hosts extending the lead. And just past the half hour mark Stocksbridge hit back to level as Danny South headed home from a Chris Bettney corner.

Marine regained the lead on 69 minutes when John Shaw on the stretch converted a cross at the far post. Stocksbridge were agonisingly close to a late equaliser as Richard Haigh’s header rattled the home sides’ crossbar.

Frickley Athletic stay a point clear of the drop zone after a 4-2 defeat at Blyth Spartan, their sixth in succession on the road.

Luke Hinsley took advantage of a defensive slip to equalise for Frickley on 39 minutes to cancel out Blyth’s opener two minutes earlier.

It stayed that way until Spartans struck with a three goal salvo in the final 10 minutes to go 4-1 up and leave Jason Yates stoppage time goal as no more than consolation effort

In the FA Trophy, Worksop Town continued their excellent run of away form with a narrow 1-0 victory over Halesowen Town.

Leon Mettam made the most of a defensive mix-up to score the decisive goal 10 minutes before the break.

Matlock Town must try again after being held 0-0 at home by Leek Town, while Buxton went through 2-1 at the expense of Premier Division rivals North Ferriby United.

Tuesday - Premier Division: Frickley Athletic v Stocksbridge Park Steels, Grantham Town v Buxton, Matlock Town v AFC Flyde,

Division One South: Sheffield FC v Northwich Victoria.

Wednesday - Premier Division: Worksop Town v Blyth Spartans.