Flier for new Steels boss

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC saw their FA Trophy run come to an end as Blue Square North Nuneaton Town eased into the First Round Proper with a 4-0 victory at Dronfield.

Gareth Dean and Guy Hadland made it 2-0 by half-time and in the second half Adam Walker and Eddie Nisevic completed the scoring.

Worksop Town edged through 3-2 against Evo-Stik Division One North League leaders Curzon Ashton 3-2 in a see-saw tie at Sandy Lane.

Worksop went in front on 18 minutes through Massiah McDonald who slotted past Josh Ollerenshaw from 12-yards after Jamie Jackson and Owain Warlow had combined to create the opening.

Curzon levelled on 31 minutes when James Cotterill turned a Matt Purcell cross into his own-net. Three minutes later the visitors caught out Tigers with a long ball over the defence that Kristian Dennis ran onto to knock the ball past the exposed Jon Worsnop. Just before the break the visitors’ keeper Ollerenshaw produced an excellent save to deny McDonald after a surging run.

Worksop grabbed the equaliser on 58 minutes from a set-piece. Mark Hudson curled in a corner and Luke Shiels out jumped the defence to head home in style.

Ashley Burbeary struck a 30-yard free-kick that deflected off the wall and just over the bar, while Cotterill was denied by a goal line clearance as the Tigers pressed for the winner.

With eight minutes remaining Worksop’s pressure told. Jordan Goodeve was adjudged to have handled inside the area as Burbeary attempted to go past the Ashton defender and from the penalty Hudson sent Ollerenshaw the wrong way.

Matlock Town were denied a replay against Conference North leaders Hyde at Causeway Lane after the visitors grabbed a late winner to edge through in a tight affair. James Lukic conceded a contentious free-kick deep into stoppage time that Adam Griffin curled in expertly to finally beat the excellent Jon Kennedy, who had denied Hyde with a number of top class saves.

New boss Chris Willcock couldn’t have wished for a better start at Stocksbridge Park Steels as the Premier Division strugglers picked up three priceless points with a convincing 4-0 home win over promotion chasers Hednesford Town, who finished the game with nine men.

Willcock was handed the reigns as Bracken Moor late on Thursday evening and quickly moved to name Darren Schofield, who had been caretaker boss since Gary Marrow resigned at the beginning of the month, as his assistant.

Willcock must have been pleased with how his new charges snuffed out Hednesford’s attacking threat, even before the game swung in Steels favour on 32 minutes. It followed the dismissal of the visitors’ goalkeeper Dane Crane for deliberate handball outside the area after racing off his line to stop Jack Muldoon’s goal-bound shot.

Stocksbridge made their numerical advantage count with two goals in six minutes just after the break. Brian Cusworth made the breakthrough on 54 minutes with a low shot past the stand-in keeper Darren Campion after Muldoon had neatly laid the ball into his path. Cusworth grabbed the second on the hour, though the striker knew little about it as Campion palmed Muldoon’s driven cross onto the striker’s chest, the ball rebounding into the net.

Hednesford never look like getting back into the game and their task became an impossible one on 85 minutes when substitute Marvin Robinson was red carded for abusive language.

Muldoon stretched the lead on 89 minutes, turning inside the area to fire home from a Richard Stirrup cross. The two substitutes then combined for the fourth in the last minute of time added on as Mark Ward side-footed in a simple chance after Andy Ring had seen his shot blocked.

Frickley Athletic will be glad to see the back of Ashton United as the hosts picked up their first win in two months with a 2-0 victory to complete a league double over the Blues. Ashton opened the scoring against the run of play on 17 minutes as Sam Madeley raced onto a through ball to slot past Steve Dickinson in the Frickley goal.

Ollie Ryan and Danny Walsh both went close for Athletic but their fate was sealed as Madeley grabbed his and Ashton’s second midway through the second half, steering home a cross at the far post.

Buxton slipped to third bottom despite picking up a good point from a goalless draw at Nantwich Town.

Tuesday - Premier Division: Stocksbridge v Frickley Athletic.

Division One South: Brigg Town v Sheffield FC.

Wednesday - Premier Division: Matlock Town v Hednesford Town, Worksop Town v Mickleover Sports.