First-half deluge sinks Stocksbridge

Stocksbridge  defender Tom Cadzow fends off Whitby's two-goal Craig Farrell.
Stocksbridge defender Tom Cadzow fends off Whitby's two-goal Craig Farrell.
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ winless run stretched to eight games as play-off chasing Whitby Town eased to a 3-0 victory at Bracken Moor.

The visitors were unlucky not to take a seventh minute lead when Adam Rundle’s free-kick crashed against the underside of the bar but three minutes later Rundle crossed for Graeme Armstrong to slam the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

A Matt Hamshaw first time effort whistled just past the post from the edge of the box but the Seasiders doubled their lead when Craig Farrell found a yard of space to tuck the ball away at the far post.

There were appeals for a penalty when Hamshaw went down under a clumsy challenge in the area then Janni Lipka fired a decent chance wide from just inside the box.

But a calamitous mix up between goalkeeper Ben Scott and Nick Swirad allowed Farrell to score the third six minutes before the break.

Julian Banton almost pulled one back at the start of the second half with a header that forced the Whitby goalkeeper into a superb save. He then then tipped Hamshaw’s 25 yard effort over the bar, but the damage had already been done and it took two good saves from Ben Scott on his return from injury to prevent the visitors adding to their score.

Frickley Athletic finished with nine-men as they slipped 2-0 at home to Ashton United. Goalkeeper Ben Simpson was shown a red card in the 83rd minute after bringing down an attacker outside his area with Gavin Allott dismissed in stoppage time for a late challenge.

But Ashton were already 2-0 up at the time through a Chris Baguley first half brace.

Sheffield FC’s home clash against Bedworth United was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, while Worksop Town’s home clash against Buxton was called of following a downpour just before kick-off.

Goole AFC captain Karl Colley, who has played for a number of the region’s clubs including Sheffield, Stocksbridge and Worksop Town, has been sacked by his club following an alleged incident involving a supporter moments after being sent-off in his side’s 3-0 defeat against Coalville Town.

The FA are to investigate the incident today.