Evo-Stik: Steels edge closer to relegation

Stocksbridge goal-scorer Nick Swirad tries to shield the ball.
Stocksbridge goal-scorer Nick Swirad tries to shield the ball.
Have your say

A 4-1 defeat at relegation rivals Witton Albion pushed Stocksbridge Park Steels closer to the precipice and what looks almost a certain drop into Division One barring a minor miracle.

Steels- third from bottom – are now nine points behind Witton in the last relegation spot and 11 points adrift of safety with 16 games remaining.

Although it is doable, the fact that their winless run of seven games includes three defeats against teams also battling the drop doesn’t suggest that Stocksbridge will pull off the great escape this time around.

They went behind on 22 minutes when Chris Simm swept home from close range. Michael Powell doubled Albion’s advantage on the break midway through the second half.

Nick Swirad gave Steels hope converting a cross to halve the deficit seven minutes from time. But just two minutes later Daniel Andrews restored the hosts two goal cushion before sealing Witton’s first win since November with a fine solo effort in time added on.

Sheffield FC boss Ian Whitehorne spoke recently of his concern of the amount of points Club had dropped in the last 10 minutes of games. So it will have been even more infuriating to have seen his side concede another late goal that saw hosts Brigg Town snatch a 2-1 victory.

The game only came to life in the last 10 minutes when Josh Nichol’s deflected shot gave Town the lead. Brandon Cardwell headed in from a corner on 85 minutes which looked to have earned Sheffield a share of the spoils. But after Andy Gascoigne was harshly red carded three minutes later, Club’s frustrations were further compounded when a defensive error allowed Elliot Broughton in for the winner deep into stoppage time.

Worksop Town put their title chase back on track, coming from behind to win 3-1 at Barwell to end a run of three defeats on the spin.

Jamie Jackson pounced on a Tom Denton knock down after four minutes to cancel out the host’s second minute opener. Denton put the Tigers in front from the penalty spot eight minutes before the break after Jackson had been hauled down and that left Barwell down to ten-men. Evan Garnett sealed the points 11 minutes from time thumping home a cross for his first goal for the club.

Frickley Athletic were soundly beaten 4-1 at relegation rivals Trafford where Jake Picton hit the Blues consolation effort in stoppage time, while a Lewis McMahon double gave Matlock Town a 2-0 win over Kings Lynn Town.