Duo spearhead Steelmen win

Have your say

PARKGATE avenged their League Cup defeat to Winterton Rangers by beating them 2-0 in the league at West Street.

Brian Cusworth nudged the Steelmen, who lost 2-1 five days earlier to the Scunthorpe-based outfit in the cup, in front on 35 minutes. Ashley Worsfold doubled the advantage five minutes after the break as Doug Shelley’s side climbed back up to sixth in the table.

Retford United retained top spot in the Premier Division after a 2-2 draw at Scarborough Athletic. Bill Law gave the home side a fifth minute lead before Warren Hatfield struck twice levelling on 18 minutes then putting the Badgers in front just before the half hour mark. But former Parkgate striker James Ghaichem came to Scarborough’s rescue with an equaliser midway through the second half.

Maltby Main saw two priceless points slip away in their bid to avoid relegation as Barton Town Old Boys snatched a late equaliser to earn a 3-3 draw at Muglet Lane.

It’s now four defeats in the last five for Armthorpe Welfare as Des Bennett’s men slipped to a 2-1 reversal at improving Arnold Town, who made it eight without defeat.

Handsworth came from behind to beat Rossington Main 2-1 at Oxford Street to stretch their winning league streak to 12 games and in doing so restore their six-point lead at the top of Division One.

Hallam’s home woes continued as the Blues slipped to a third successive defeat at Sandygate Road losing out 3-1 against Dinnington Town.

Julian Watts side got off to an awful start when Dwayne Wiley headed into his own net inside the first minute. Liam Cartledge stabbed home from close range to put Town 2-0 up on 21 minutes. Two minutes later Hallam were back in the game when Ben Cobley drove home a low effort. But all hopes of a comeback were dashed on 58 minutes as Dinnington restored their two goal cushion, Jon Roper firing into the roof of the net from a Martin Wade cross.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic made it five wins from the last seven winning 4-2 at struggling Yorkshire Amateur.

n Staveley Miners Welfare’s dreams of Wembley were shattered after a 2-2 draw against Dunston UTS at Inkersall Road that meant the Northern League side progressed to the final 3-2 on aggregate.

Simon Barraclough pounced on seven minutes to put Staveley ahead although Dunston levelled through Andrew Bulford on 16 minutes. Chris Coy restored the Miners lead eight minutes before the break, then, with extra time looming Steve Goddard scored on 84 minutes to level the scores and break Staveley hearts.