Duo make promising starts in top flight

Have your say

Staveley Miners Welfare and Retford United are two of five Premier Division teams still boasting 100 per cent records from their two league outings after victories over Winterton Rangers and Parkgate respectively.

Staveley Miners Welfare and Retford United are two of five Premier Division teams still boasting 100 per cent records from their two league outings after victories over Winterton Rangers and Parkgate respectively.

But for Parkgate they are one of three teams in the top flight still searching for their first point of the new campaign.

Handsworth maintained their early season form with a 2-1 win over Dinnington Town to leave them level on points with early Division One leaders Pontefract Collieries. While Worsbrough Bridge Athletic got their season up and running a week later than everyone else with a tremendous 3-2 victory at league newcomers Worksop Parramore.

Worsbrough should have taken a 10th minute lead but Adam Podmore blasted over the bar when he should have hit the target after keeper Mark Clements had parried a free-kick. Moments later the hoys went close when Tom Nolan’s powerful drive rattled the crossbar. However, the visitors broke the deadlock on 33 minutes, Lee Garside firing into the roof of the net from the penalty spot after a foul by Shaun Varley.

Parramore hit back to level five minutes later with a fine individual effort from Nolan. But within 60 seconds, Worsbrough regained the lead when Garside tapped in from close range.

Against the run of play Worsbrough extended their lead on 81 minutes, Adam Podmore latching onto a long through ball to steer a shot beyond Clements. Three minutes later Parramore’s were back in the game when Thompson scored with an excellent dipping shot from just outside the box. The home side should have come away with a point however after being awarded a late penalty for handball but Nolan smashed the spot kick against the crossbar.

Parkgate slumped 2-0 at home against Retford United who have yet to concede a goal after two outings. Jamie Brown nudged the visitors in front just past the half hour mark with Barry Payne shipping his second goal in successive games to seal the points seven minutes from time.

Staveley couldn’t have wished for a better start to the campaign after a 2-1 success over Winterton Rangers at Inkersall Road made it three wins out of three in all competitions. Ryan Damms opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 21 minutes and has now scored in all the Miners opening three games. Winterton hit back to level five minutes after the interval but former Matlock Town striker Simon Barraclough popped up with the winner 11 minutes from time.

Henry Sibenge scored the only goal of the game as Armthorpe Welfare made it two away wins in the space of five days with a 1-0 victory at Liversedge. The decisive goal came in the 48th minute when Craig Fletcher’s slide rule pass was hit on the half volley by Sibenge that went in off the inside of the post.

Maltby Main came away with just a point from a 2-2 draw at Lincoln Moorlands. Rob Branagan had given The Miners an eighth minute lead but the home side hit back to lead just before the hour mark after goals from Josh Barker and Tom Garrick. But Paul Lavender ensured some justice was done hitting home a 70th minute equaliser.

Having beaten Hallam on the opening day of the season Handsworth clinched a second successive derby win edging out a battling Dinnington Town 2-1 at Olivers Mount.

Brian Cusworth gave the hosts a fifth minute lead pouncing on a disastrous back pass. Handsworth extend their lead seven minute into the second half with Scott Bates hitting a powerful effort beyond keeper Luke Hands after a Town attack had broke down. Dinnington however, made it a tense finish when Matt Smith turned in a Spence Goff cross five minutes from time.

Rossington Main find themselves in the lofty heights of third place after a 1-1 home draw against Glasshoughton Welfare made it four points out of a possible six. Former Stocksbridge Park Steels striker Carl Fothergill gave the visitors a 55thminute lead but Rossington soon hit back as Jason Stokes headed in a Liam Charlton cross seven minutes later to earn a share of the spoils.

Askern Villa suffered a second successive defeat, losing 1-0 at Pontefract Collieries.


Tuesday: League Cup First Round: Rossington v Glasshoughton Welfare.

League Cup Second Round: Liversedge v Staveley MW, Nostell MW v Armthorpe Welfare.

Wilkinson Sword Trophy First Round: Louth Town v Worksop Parramore.

Premier Division: Thackley v Maltby Main.

Division One: Hemsworth MW v Hallam.

Wednesday-League Cup First Round: Handsworth v Pontefract, Shirebrook Town v Dinnington Town.

League Cup Second Round: Tadcaster Albion v Retford United.