Duffield breaks his duck with first win as Parramore boss

editorial image
Have your say

Handsworth Parramore’s new boss Peter Duffield enjoyed his first league victory since replacing Russ Eagle last month, as the Ambers came from a goal down to beat neighbours Parkgate 2-1.

Scott Whittington’s superb 25-yard effort gave the Steelmen a 16th minute lead but Handworth were back on level terms on the half hour mark when Nathan Joynes headed in from a Simon Harrison cross.

Four minutes later Joynes netted his second from the penalty spot for what turned out to be the winner after Luke Fletcher had been sent tumbling in the area.

Staveley Miners Welfare recorded a seventh straight league win for the first time in the club’s history, with a 4-2 victory over Albion Sports at Inkersall Road.

Kurtis Morley gave Staveley a fourth minute lead but the visitors hit back to lead 2-1 just before the half hour mark.

Morley restored parity on 32 minutes before completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot eight minutes from the interval to put the home side 3-2 up.

Jahmal Smith wrapped up the points with the fourth 10 minutes from time.

Maltby Main ended a run of four league defeats on the spin with a 2-1 victory over Garforth Town at Muglet Lane. The Miners went ahead on 14 minutes as Brian Cusworth steered home a pin-point cross from new signing Neil Sprouse.

The home side doubled their lead a minute before the break when Sam Forster forced the ball home.

The Miners were knocked back as Garforth hit back to score twice in quick succession just after the interval. Daniel Harris’ header reduced the arrears on 50 minutes then just two minutes later Luke Manighan tapped in the equaliser.

Maltby recovered their composure to regain the lead on 78 minutes, as Cusworth’s superbly weighted throughball sent Oli Fearon away to make it 3-2.

But Fearon’s game ended on a sour note when was sent off a minute from time for a second yellow card.

Nevertheless the Miners wrapped up the points with the fourth deep into stoppage time as Forster comfortably fired into an empty net with the Garforth keeper caught yards outside his area.

Retford United continued their improvement, drawing 1-1 draw at Thackley to make it just one defeat in the last five. Josh Batty’s 53rd minute strike had given the Badgers hope of a second successive away victory until the hosts grabbed an equaliser 14 minutes from time.

In Division One, Hallam were beaten 4-2 at in-form Yorkshire Amateur. The home side were 4-0 up with 20 minutes remaining before a late fightback saw the Countrymen make the scoreline a little more respectable, with consolation goals from Brandon Wilde and Matt Parks.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic came from a goal down to beat leaders AFC Emley 2-1 and end the hosts’ six match unbeaten league record.

Doran Jordan fired the home side into a fifth minute lead but Brad Kerr became the first player to score a league goal against Emley at the Welfare ground in 518 minutes of football with the equaliser midway through the second half.

Josh Evans completed the turnaround, hitting the winner seven minutes from time to give the Briggers a first win in seven.

Rossington Main ended a run of seven games without a win by beating Lincoln Moorlands Railway 2-1 away. with a brace from Shaun Pendleton.

Penistone Church suffered a first defeat in nine games in league and cup with a 2-0 reversal at Louth Town.