Countrymen held at home

editorial image
Have your say

A late goal denied Hallam their second home league win in eight games leaving the hosts having to settle for 1-1 draw against Eccleshill United, after Julian Watts side had led from the 16th minute.

Aaron Moxam claimed his second goal in as many games since returning to the club put the Countrymen in front with a crisp finish from Connor Sellars pass.

Ben Kistell saw his header rattle the visitors’ crossbar then Paul Lavender forced a superb low save from the keeper. And Watts side paid the price for not taking their chances when in the 89th minute Victor Balis levelled.

Athersley Recreation remain four points clear at the top of Division One after a 3-0 away win over one of their promotion rivals Pontefract Collieries.

Rossington Main came from behind to win 2-1 at Appleby Frodingham. Nathan Watson fired the hosts into a 21st minute lead before Main hit back to level a minute before the break, Niall Doyle riffling home from seven yards. Scott Spencer headed home from a corner for the winner a minute from time for his first senior goal for the club.

Staveley Miners Welfare moved up to seventh in the Premier Division after a 2-0 away success at Hall Road Rangers. Richard Patterson put Staveley ahead seven minutes before the break with Joe Thornton wrapping up the points with second 18 minutes from time.

Improving Maltby Main stretched their unbeaten league run to four games, beating next to bottom Lincoln Moorlands Railway 3-0 at Muglet Lane to pull six points clear of the relegation zone.

Adam Houghton put the Miners ahead on 14 minutes. Craig Gladwin doubled the lead three minutes into the second half before Houghton turned provider for the third on 58 minutes with a fine run and cross that left Brian Cusworth with a simpe tap in.

Worksop Parramore maintained their promotion challenge with a narrow 2-1 victory over bottom of the table Winterton Rangers.

Parkgate lost 3-2 at Heanor Town. Richie Holmes gave the hosts a 36th minute lead but Simon Hickey and Lee Hill struck twice in the space of two minutes just after the break to put the Steelmen 2-1 ahead. Nathan Benger restored parity on 63 minutes then after Hill was sent off on 80 minutes leaving Parkgate down to ten-men; Town quickly took advantage of their numerical advantage when two minutes later Jordan Hall pounced for the winner.

TUESDAY - League Cup Second Round: Dinnington Town v Teversal.

Division One: Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Clipstone Welfare.

WEDNESDAY - Premier Division: Staveley MW v Maltby Main